question

heidi avatar image
heidi asked

How to identify HW rev SmartSolar MPPT 150/35

Hello everybody,

how do I identify the rev of a SmartSolar Charger MPPT 150/35. It has a serial number starting with HQ193.. but in the change log (rev.2 HQ1531 and up) is listed below BlueSolar MPPT Charge Controllers but the device is named and sold as SmartSolar. Also the product icon does not match the hardware. Thanks!

img-8543.jpeg

MPPT SmartSolar
img-8543.jpeg (306.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

On the sticker on the side of the mppt what is the PN? On that same sticker the rev number should be there.

And there have no been big revisions. If it is rev 3, the document basically says bigger micro and better BT.

If it has BT it is a smart solar. Which yours clearly has.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

heidi avatar image heidi commented ·

Thanks, wasn‘t that easy to reach but I was now able to identify the PN: SCC115035210 => SmartSolar Rev.2, but is there really a Rev3 available of an 150/35? PN? That is at least what someone said in another thread.

And there is still the wrong icon within VictronConnect.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ heidi commented ·

@Heidi

To be honest I have not seen a rev 3 150/35, but then have only ever installed one 150/35 ever. And keeps up with the newer ones, so havent notice any appreciable difference in its performance or use.

I have many rev 3 of the bigger modules in the field like the 250s

You can google the new victron price list and look there.

1 Like 1 ·
Michael Timler avatar image
Michael Timler answered ·
3 comments
2 |3000

This does not help. I have read the thread befor as well as the changelog. FW v1.61 and >HQ13.. pointing to rev 2, but it does not make sense that it is listed below BlueSolar devices neither could I find any hints for a Rev3 150/35 devices in that document.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ heidi commented ·

@Heidi

The hardware revisions that have been done are mostly either a Bluetooth upgrade for new features or a larger processor also to accomodate the new features.

If you have rev 2 likely it was just a BT upgrade.

Rev 3 - both processor and BT upgrade.

Much of the FW code is shared between the mppts so really not to much of a difference besides interface differences.

The rev number these days is usually on the sticker on the unit with the SN and PN. The older ones was separate sticker. And if connected to a GX visible in devices on the VRM.

What exactly are you looking for?

0 Likes 0 ·
heidi avatar image heidi Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alexandra

It looks to me that victron needs to update/fix their documentation. Is there a 150/35 with a serialnumber like HQ.. and a different one with SCC..? Where is the identifyer for a Rev3, i can only find rev1, rev1.5 and 2.0 for the 150/35. And why do they constantly change the naming SmartSolar <-> BlueSolar. Is this now a BlueSolar or a SmartSolar device? Is this what Heisenberg is talking about?

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

If you do a firmware update on VRM it shows the device version. This is not shown in Victronconnet and may be a future improvement I suspect.

1691162841285.png

1691162841285.png (23.7 KiB)
2 |3000

heidi avatar image
heidi answered ·

Thanks for this workaround, but unfortenatly I do not have VRM connectivity. I would love to see an openWRT plugin for this (I’m using a Teltonika RUTX device 3G/LTE/5G, Wifi (2,4/5GHz ac, client and AP mode at the same time), GPS, Bluetooth and USB/Serial/Modbus/MQTT capability), and all of this at ~8W. This is why I decided against an cerbo cx, also an additional Pi would be too inifficient just for VRM.

1 comment
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Teltonika makes some incredible devices. The Global Link may have been an option if the other feature were not required.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

So you think that because yor MPPT has a serial numnber HQ193w... (and you saw that >HQ1531 in the BlueSolar table) then it's a BlueSolar and not a SmartSolar (as written on the case)?

First part of the serial number (HQyyww) just denotes the manufacturing date (yy is the year, ww is the week).

So HQ193x means it is a Victron product manufactured in year 2019, week 30's something (you removed the 6th character, so I can tell the exact week).

2 comments
2 |3000

It is just inconsistent. In the same document they use on one table the Serialnumber and on the next table the PN for identification. Then they use the icon of a BlueSolar for a SmartSolar device. I was just asking for a way to identify a SmartSolar 150/35 v3 (if it exist).

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 heidi commented ·

Yours has Bluetooth, so it's a SmartSolar.

Why you deleted those screenshots?

0 Likes 0 ·