question

ssteele1812 avatar image
ssteele1812 asked

Low temp cutoff

This morning I noticed that my battery was at 60%. When I checked the app, my charge controller showed that it was not sending power to the battery. It did show voltage, no amps. I checked the history and it showed no production for 5 days. The only thing I saw that was odd was the temperature. It showed -18C. I checked the settings for the controller and it said that the low temp cutoff would only work if it was getting temp info from another device. I disabled low temp cutoff and it started charging the battery. I checked my networked devices and it said it was getting temp info from my smart shunt. I do not have a temp sensor connected to the shunt and the aux in is disabled.

Why would this have just started 5 days ago? It was over 100° then. There was an update available when I connected today but it didn't change anything. Perhaps there was an update 5 days ago as well? I did not connect to the app but I did have Bluetooth turned on.

UPDATE: After posting this question, I went back into the app to check on the charge controller. It was no longer displaying a temperature. I checked the network and it no longer said it was getting temp data from the shunt. I turned low temp cutoff back on and it continues charging and still did not display a temp or show that it was getting temp data from the shunt.

MPPT SmartSolar
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mkuiken avatar image mkuiken commented ·
Hi @ssteele1812

Can you confirm your SmartShunt was using firmware v2.43 for its Bluetooth interface at the time this issue occured?

0 Likes 0 ·
ssteele1812 avatar image ssteele1812 mkuiken commented ·

I have not done an update since it was installed in March. Does it update automatically when I have Bluetooth on or do I have to ok the update like I did with the charge controller?

screenshot-20230710-124036.png

0 Likes 0 ·
mkuiken avatar image mkuiken ssteele1812 commented ·

It will never automatically update the firmware, i.e. you'll always have to confirm an update.

Do you recall when the charge controller was updated? Was it about at the same time as the charge controller stopped charging due to the low temp cutoff?

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers