question

xrk avatar image
xrk asked

SmartSolar MPPT firmware bug with internal temp

Today, my only couple of weeks old SmartSolar MPPT 250/60 stopped charging. By investigating the reason, I see it detects temperature as -1°C, although it is in a room with ca. +25°C. By disconnecting the battery and PV, waiting some seconds and reconnecting everything it runs again. Possible firmware bug? Running v1.61 and v2.44 for the BT interface.

MPPT SmartSolar
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mkuiken avatar image mkuiken commented ·

Hi @xrk

Is the SmartSolar joining a VE.Smart Network in which a SmartBmv / SmartShunt / SmartBatterySense is also participating? If so, can you share what fw version(s) this device is running on?

For the future, might you ever run into this issue again, can you please make a service report while the SmartSolar is still in this faulty state? In case there's a SmartShunt/SmartBmv in the VE.Smart Network it would be very useful if you could make a seperate service report for this device as well. Here you can find how create such a report.

Thanks!

1 Like 1 ·
2 Answers
xrk avatar image
xrk answered ·

Thank you for a swift reply. Indeed I had SmartSolar MPPT connected to VE.Smart network via Bluetooth. The connection partner is/was SmartShunt 500A/50mV with firmware v4.14 and Bluetooth interface firmware v2.43 and Bootloader v1.16.

According to VE.Smart networking only battery voltage and current are being transmitted via Bluetooth from SmartShunt, temperature is not listed under VE.Smart Networking.

I do not hope to see the error quickly again, as it popped up only once now during some weeks of operation, but if it does, I will remember to create the reports as suggested.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@xrk

To determine if there is a bug, you need to post the service report as suggested by @mkuiken. And post here. I appreciate you have to wait for the occurrence again.

The other possible answer is the firmware for the mppt and the rest of the network are not of the same timeline. You mention only one device firmware.

Another possibility is the smart shunt aux port is set to a temp sensor when in fact no temp sensor is connected.

Temperature data can be sent over BT smart network from the smart shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
xrk avatar image xrk Alexandra ♦ commented ·

> You mention only one device firmware.

I posted details about MPPT firmware in first post and SmartShunt firmware details in the answer post to mkuiken above.

The Aux input of SmartShunt was and is set to "None".

0 Likes 0 ·
ffvictron avatar image
ffvictron answered ·

I've had the same issues reported by the OP but using the 250/70 and cerbo GX no VE.network. The smartshunt aux port is set to none. (suggested in the forums as workaround/fix)

I've seen this issue posted in the forum few times and I made sure the components are running to the latest firmware available.

This happens from time to time in my setup and the only way to make it work again is to disconnect the battery bank to turn off the MPPT. I will create the service report the next time it happens.

2 |3000