question

mihair avatar image
mihair asked

ESS - Active SOC Limit manual reset

Hi,

There is any way to manually reset active SOC limit under ESS - Optimised with battery life?

I mean, logging on VenusOS and resetting some flag, if there is any, in a temporary file.

Thanks,

Mihai

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff)

@Izak (Victron Energy Staff)

ESS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solarlion avatar image solarlion commented ·
Have you found a solution? Also looking for this. Dont want to waste 12 days of energy until it drops from 80% to 20%.
0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
kivanov avatar image
kivanov answered ·

Here is how to do via cli. It also accepts values that are not round to 5:

[root@gx:~]# dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/MinimumSocLimit GetValue
[root@gx:~]# dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit GetValue
[root@gx:~]# dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit SetValue 33
[root@gx:~]# dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit GetValue
[root@gx:~]#
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hominidae avatar image
hominidae answered ·

...here's a screenshot on how to do that in MQTT Explorer.

1667558019368.png

...the topic in question is: N/<your serial ID>/settings/0/Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit

The value is given in Braces, with key "value" and then the value itself as an integer {"value": <your new value>} ...I didn't try decimal numbers.

When publishing to the topic, replace the leading "N" with a "W" for "write", as stated in the manual.

hope this helps,

greetz,

hominidae

1667558019368.png (135.8 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Whatever I did wrong before in my tests - this is working. Thank you a lot.
0 Likes 0 ·
hominidae avatar image hominidae solarlion commented ·
great that it works for you now.

....maybe you confused this with another topic, like "MinimumSoCLimit", which is - despite the naming - the "normal", manually set SoC Limit. And the topic named SoCLimit actually should be named "ActiveSoCLimit"

As a side note, the CerboGX, when going through the Settings menu, only shows the Active SoC Limit value if its value is equal or above the value of the Minimum Soc Limit.

0 Likes 0 ·
sanchosk avatar image sanchosk commented ·
It's interesting how many mistakes can I do with 1 topic and 1 message.

In my case - typo in topic (forgot the Settings first, then GCwacs instead of CGwacs) and then in message body - used ' instead of ".

After getting it right, it worked - SocLimit set to 10 instead of 70 and the battery is finally powering the house.

THANKS!

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

It might be possible yes. But thats really more for the developers mailing list. And even then i cant promise an answer.

I’d prefer not to encourage anyone here to go login on ssh on devices and start hacking away on the command line. I’m sorry to say, but we won’t be home for help when that goes wrong.

(Ps; experiment with dbus-spy)

2 |3000

lucode avatar image
lucode answered ·

Having the same issue on my EasySolar 5k with 4 Pylontech batteries. But I would rather like to have a solution to control the SOC limit more accurately. Either with having a parameter to limit Active SOC limit going above a certain limit or with a logic to reset Active SOC limit to the min. values when the SOC is above a certain value. In my case even it is a sunny day after some cloudy days Active SOC limit is still at 70%. I'm wasting a lot of my potential solar yield with this setup of ESS.

1 comment
2 |3000

Use the “without battery life” setting in the ESS menu of the GX device.

Then you have full control.

1 Like 1 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

When mine got out of whack I just changed to optimise (no battery life) for a few days while it sorted itself out.

2 |3000

solarlion avatar image
solarlion answered ·

Wow! Thank you a lot for this!

2 |3000

hominidae avatar image
hominidae answered ·

...I did that by publishing the new/correct/desired value via mqtt (which needs to be enabled on the GX, of course).

All it takes is a tool like mqttExplorer to make that change.

2 comments
2 |3000

Can you post an example? I tried this also via MQTT but was not working. My Assumption was, that this value is not allowed to set over MQTT?
0 Likes 0 ·
hominidae avatar image hominidae solarlion commented ·
..see my post below...didn't see the followup/reply button for your post....still learning this interface as I am new.
0 Likes 0 ·