question

andre-meyer avatar image
andre-meyer asked

Victron ESS - Stop charging in case of CAN failure

Hi,

I have a Multiplus 2 running with an GX device and a Pylontech battery.US5000.

I tested some failure modes and I observed that the CAN communicaton to the pylontech is not checked at all. Nothing happens, when I disconnect the CAN bus cable.

Is there any possibilty to stop the system in case of a lost communication to the battery?

BR,

André

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Andre Meyer

The reason why the multi should be programmed is for the situation you have described. You will note the recommended settings in the documentation is 52v and 51v and are lower than what the battery requests.

With DVCC on you should see the error bms connection lost on the GX fairly quickly if it is under external control.

How long did you wait to see what would happen? If i recall it is not a second by second monitoring on that but can be up to 30seconds before errors begin. Some batteries over two minutes. The mppts will stop much sooner with error #67.

Also might help if you share firmware versions for all your components. It is possible they are not up to date enough for all the features to work together.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andre-meyer avatar image andre-meyer commented ·

Hi,

Thanks for you answer!

I disconnected the CAN cable and after ~2 minutes I have got the VE-Bus Error #288 and the system stops charging!.

1 Like 1 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ andre-meyer commented ·
It has an intentionally long timeout so the GX can be updated, or maintenance done without breaking the environment.
1 Like 1 ·