question

kuri avatar image
kuri asked

Help to create generator auto start flow

Wondering if anybody has or can help me create a Generator Auto start flow. Basically I want to create a flow for Node red that would Start a generator at a set time say 6pm everyday if the battery SOC is below 50%. I have made a few attempts but I have no coding skills so just been experimenting with Bard and chat GPT but no success.

This is just to automate a clients setup so they dont need to check generator everyday and it dosent just start up in the middle of the night should they have a day of low solar charge.

Thanks for any input!

Node-REDgenerator auto start
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Maybe you can use the "quiet time" settings in the GX device to do what you want.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kuri avatar image kuri commented ·
You can set a quiet time but even then the generator will start at a given battery SOC.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem kuri commented ·
There are two settings for each condition: non-quiet time and quiet time. Should be able to set the quiet time value to 0
2 Likes 2 ·
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) avatar image
Dirk-Jan Faber (Victron Energy) answered ·

I agree with Kevin that you might already be able to accomplish this from the GX device.

That being said, I've made an example for this situation. See here: https://github.com/victronenergy/node-red-contrib-victron/wiki/Example-Flows#run-generator-at-certain-time-when-soc-is-below-50

2 comments
2 |3000

kuri avatar image kuri commented ·
Thank you for this! I will play around with the GX settings to see if that's possible but I dont think it gives the automation that this flow can. Much appreciated!
0 Likes 0 ·
belmont avatar image belmont commented ·

Hi Dirk, I am just starting with NodeRed, I am super beginner. I wonder if you could make "follow the sun" algo with NodeRed. This could be a useful example for your github collection too.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/217737/follow-the-sun-algo.html

My algo idea is addressing the issues with the default ESS ones:

1) i never want random cycling, export/import especially using the grid, As the battery is cycled every night, do not need daytime cycling

2) AC 1 input should be used only when I want

3) Solar PV power is the top prio and the only option to charge the battery, never ever from grid (i have low wattage connection to grid)

4) Dynamically controlled charging based on excess energy which is also dynamic value from solar PV production and house consumption

1 phase 230VAC 15kW Quattro and BYD premium and SolarEdge on AC out here, however i have pretty instable grid, trying not to use it much.

0 Likes 0 ·