question

jonny-b avatar image
jonny-b asked

No ESS Assistant

I've recently hooked up my Multiplus II, Cerbo GX and two Pylontech US5000s. They charged OK last week (1st time). My VE Bus - Mk3 USB adapter arrived today so I thought I'd get my system running properly. I updated the firmware for Cerbo & Multiplus, adjusted some settings recommended by Victron and went to set up ESS. I navigated to Settings, ESS, then No ESS Assistant found. Restarting made no difference. I've read the ESS guides and comments from other users on here, but have no idea what to do. Could anyone help please?

ESS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marcve avatar image marcve commented ·
@jonny-b. Install VEconfig, select your Mk3 adapter. Go into the config app, select the assistant to use.
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jonny-b avatar image
jonny-b answered ·

Thanks for the quick reply Peter. I updated to the latest firmwares - 5.02 for the Multiplus II & 2.93 for the Cerbo GX. The link to VEConnect3 doesn't exist anymore on the Victron website. When I connect the USB -RJ45 VE Bus cable, there's no option for ESS anything. MaybeIll play aroundagain this evening...

1 comment
2 |3000

jonny-b avatar image
jonny-b answered ·

I managed to download VE Configure 3 - I had been using Mac OS where I couldn't find it, but as it's dual boot, tried in Windows with success. I configured ESS and loaded it, but don't see it on the Cerbo GX's Settings, ESS - I still see No ESS Assistant found. Restarting made no difference.

2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·
Download the configuration file from the inverter and confirm that it is actually installed. If it is then go into the cerbo device menu/inverter/advanced and restart the ve.bus. then reboot the cerbo
1 comment
2 |3000

jonny-b avatar image jonny-b commented ·
Hi Derrick. After restarting everything, ESS appeared on my Cerbo. The Multiplus has nothing on the AC outputs, and 2 x Pylontech US5000 batteries charged to 100%. When I tried to run the system after ESS configuration, I got VE.Bus Error 11 0x800805 BF safety test in progress Failing step 8. This is a ground relay test fault apparently. Online suggestions are: voltage between neutral in and earth, line & neutral in reversed and dodgy earth. None of these are wrong - they've been checked. I have TT earth, measuring 1v max. between earth & neutral. With the system isolated, I get 'open circuit' between line in & earth, neutral in & earth and line in & neutral in. I'm tearing my hair out!!! Any suggestions please?
0 Likes 0 ·