question

maa avatar image
maa asked

ESS Evolution

Good morning, Is it possible to add a Pylontech type US2000C battery to a stack without having to shut down the entire Victron ESS installation? Of course, the battery cell being completely disconnected. If anyone knows a proper procedure I'm all ears. Thanks for your help.

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Laurens D avatar image
Laurens D answered ·

I do not have experience with this, but want to add.

Once you add a battery and there is load, with the low resistance it might cause a lot of amps going through the system; I'm not fully sure how important that is and if that's actually an issue might depend on your setup. Voltage might drop also depending on charge.

Technically if you have a busbar you can easily mount another one, but if you want that is another question, I'd think you want to let it equalize before doing anything, anyways.

Do not see this as advice, but things to think about it also always wear glasses..

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

maa avatar image maa commented ·

Thank Laurens D

I agree with you about the balancing, I always do it and it's necessary until the leds go out.

But here my question is to know if by cutting the DC supply from my battery to the Multiplus this can cause damage.

0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

As I recall the correct start-up sequence is to connect the battery first, before the grid. It would follow that on shut-down you should disconnect the grid before the battery.

This is a good reason to install a bypass switch, so you can work on the inverter while continuing to provide power for the loads. But it is a bit late to do that now!

So personally I would not do it.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks shapener, i'm agree with you
0 Likes 0 ·
gerard-van-seventer avatar image
gerard-van-seventer answered ·

The Pylontech manual clearly mentions to shut down the entire system, including the AC part. Makes a lot of sense with those high energy devices.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks gerard-van-seventer, i'm agree with you

0 Likes 0 ·