question

oxident avatar image
oxident asked

BatteryLife with ESS Mode 3

Hi!

I'm using a MP2-48/5000, a 3rd party LiFePo4-battery with integrated BMS (connected vis CAN) and a Cerbo GX. The ESS is controlled externally via Modbus by adjusting the AC-Setpoint.

Now I'm wondering why VRM displays "BatteryLife active" although the mode is set to "External Control". Using Modbus, I see that the corresponding register shows "5" (discharging disabled) but I can't see the cause of this. Nevertheless, discharging works as expected.

It only happens if SoC is <40%.

Is this just a cosmetic thing or do I face any drawbacks?

ESSbatterylife
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
dirtyfrank avatar image
dirtyfrank answered ·

For me it helped to set the Minimum Soc (/Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit) to 0. No more ESS conditions have been showing up since.

So long,

Frank

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jautze avatar image jautze commented ·
Thanks this helped.

Best regards

Marcel

0 Likes 0 ·
tom w avatar image
tom w answered ·

I guess you have picked "Optimized (with BatteryLife) in the ESS-Settings.

In that case the ESS will calculate an "Active SOC limit" based on the previous charge cycle(s), which is shown in the settings as well.2023-03-03-11-58-06-remote-console-on-lan-brave.png

3 comments
2 |3000

oxident avatar image oxident commented ·

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, I'm using "External Control" and not one of the other modes :-(

1677850050182.png

1677850107912.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1677850050182.png (12.5 KiB)
1677850107912.png (15.6 KiB)
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ oxident commented ·

@oxident

So what is the min soc in case of grid faliure? 40%?

0 Likes 0 ·
oxident avatar image oxident Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Hmm, unsure because the min soc setting is disabled in case of "External Control". The (greyed out) min soc seems to be 10%.

0 Likes 0 ·
oxident avatar image
oxident answered ·

Still no idea why BatteryLife is involved in my setup.

Today, I've noticed that my Cerbo shows up with ESS#5 (slow charging enabled) and charging seems to be limited to 10A. According to my knowledge, ESS#5 is part of BatteryLife in order to maximize battery life.

But as I use "External Control", this shouldn't kick in at all, shouldn't it?

My current SoC is 30% with a current of 53.2V (16p) and I'm quite confident that I could increase the charging current at this point.

2 |3000

jautze avatar image
jautze answered ·

I have exactly the same problem and can‘t figure out where battery life come from.

Best regards

Marcel

2 |3000

Alex P. avatar image
Alex P. answered ·

I also have the same problem. Are there any new findings?

2 |3000

oxident avatar image
oxident answered ·

Not really. Sometimes, it works if I change the ESS Mode to "Enabled" and then back to "External control".

2 |3000

michelp avatar image
michelp answered ·

I have some progress on this situation.

1st as periodicaly i update set point, in the same time i set Modbus register 2900 to 10 batterylife disable

This need to have good connexion to MultiplusII because in case of loss of connection Batterylife take place again and need a multi reset (on/off) for clearing.

2 |3000

Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·

I've seen that even if I set External Control for the system mode, somehow, in the background, the BatteryLife is still working and adjusts the Active SoC Limit despite the fact that is never taken into account.

In a way is good, because the system still tracks the solar conditions and when needed is there with the real situation.

And, probably, the state of all variables are sent to VRM and VRM is showing them accordingly. Maybe some small improvements needs to be done.

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic