question

fermont avatar image
fermont asked

GlobalLink 520 NL coverage

I've installed a GlobalLink 520 for remote monitoring my boat but having connection problems.

Installed using the original Victron outdoor antenna, placed on the railing of the boat, free from any abstacles.
Sometimes it is able to make a connection, most of the time not. Part of my alarm log.

1676295517174.png

Would like to find a solution cause sending back is not possible any more. I had to cut the connector and threw away packaging.

Boat is locatad at Oranjeplaat/Arnemuiden. 51.51, 3.70. According to the covarge map this should be no problem.

Any suggestions?

globallink
1676295517174.png (228.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

Have you switched the GL520 to EXTERNAL ANTENNA? There’s a tiny switch on top of the unit for this purpose.

When the unit does occasionally connect, what is the signal level? For comparison, I get a great connection and the average signal level is around -70dBm.

Before I fitted an external antenna, my average signal level was around -85 to -90dBm with massive dropouts.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

Here’s a shot of my signal reception…

c1a59d95-92e8-4070-b7b9-b3d623018216.jpeg

2 |3000

fermont avatar image
fermont answered ·

Hi,

Unfortunately I do not have a 'fluent' graph, this is the best I have.

As you can see antenna is set external. The last data point signal was -95dB.

1676359673451.png

1676359673451.png (36.5 KiB)
2 |3000

jolir avatar image
jolir answered ·

The really low signal level will be causing your continual dropouts. The mystery is why, when you have switched the GL520 to External Antenna.

Have you tried substituting a different antenna and/or antenna cable? You can pick one up on Amazon for little money. Mine was about £10 for the antenna and cable and works beautifully.

2 |3000

fermont avatar image
fermont answered ·

First I had a 'cheap' antenna and low signal level.

After that I bought the 'too expensive' Victron antenna (part number ANT100200100) resulting in the same low signal level.

I am afraid the antenna is not the problem but the problem is the use of LTE-m network.
According to the post of @lLasse https://community.victronenergy.com/articles/119936/globallink-520-lte-m-coverage.html there should be covarage of TMobile, Vodafone and KPN.

2 |3000

Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello, I am sorry it's not working as expected at your location. Did you try finding another location on board to see if it improves? If this isn't possible to be solved with changing the position of the unit/antenna , you are allowed to return the unit to the dealer for a full refund.

1 comment
2 |3000

fermont avatar image fermont commented ·

Hi @Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)

I've tried also at my home Middelburg/Zeeland where I had exactly the same results. I am wondering if it is a lack of LTE-m coverage or a problem with the device itself.

Also mounting the external antenna a couple of weeks to my backstay didn't improve the connection.

Last week I contacted my dealer (George Kniest) who asked me to send the device back for a review.

I really like the idea of the simplicity af the GlobalLink 520. A Cerbo is also nice but requires additional hardware for internet connection. Currently only a SmartShunt and Orion are connected, very soon a SmartSolar will be added. If the problem is coverage of LTE-m it would be nice to get a refund. If the problem is the device itself it would be nice to have a replacement.

Thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·

Hello, it could be both, I m not sure to be honest. but we dont have many issues with these devices so the coverage in general seems ok. So test at the dealer or have a refund arranged (I can help with that of course)

1 comment
2 |3000

fermont avatar image fermont commented ·

@Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)

Hello,

For your information. I reaceived a 'new' Globallink and have test results.

1686120265977.png

In my home town (Middelburg) I had good reception -65dB without external antenna (yellow circle). On my boat (Oranjeplaat, Arnemuiden) I have bad receiption with external antenna.

It is way better then the previous device and 'acceptable'. My conclusion is that my problem was a combination of a faulty device (fixed) and poor covarage (can't change).

0 Likes 0 ·
1686120265977.png (41.3 KiB)

Thanks for letting us know !

2 |3000

Related Resources

Globalink Product page

Globalink Online Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic