question

rick987 avatar image
rick987 asked

ESS not charging from solar panels

Hello, there. I am new here, just got a PV system installed on my house lost in the mountains with 20 Shutten Solar panels 410 Wc, a Fronius Symo 8.2-3 (3 phases), a Fronius Smart Meter 65A-3 (for zero injection, that's a long story with my utility provider...), 3 Quattros 48/5000/70, 4 LiFePO4 batteries 25.6V/200Ah, and a back- up generator. System management is through a Cerbo GX 3 and a BMV700. I think the installer did a good job, but let me fend for myself to configure the system...

On the + side: the system works well for direct consumption by the house, with the solar panels production matching the requested loads, and the zero injection works. I also was able to get batteries to discharge at night by selecting ESS mode as "optimized without batterielife" (with a SOC limited at 65%). For some reason, the actual SOC limit on the mode "optimized with batterielife" is stuck at 80%, hence allowing for little discharging at best.

On the - side: I cannot get the batteries to charge automatically during sunny hours, even when the house loads are very small (say 400 W) and the solar panels could produce 2,000 to 3,000 W minimum. Instead, the solar panels keep production at around 600 W. Please note that if I schedule a charge through the sunny hours, the batteries will charge to 100%, but the charge is done at 100 A throughout the process, and thus it ends up using a lot of power from the grid.

I have tried many things to correct that, including checking on software versions (except the Quattros, but I have ordered a MK3 USB connector to look into this, and the Fronius, on which, as a user, I can't seem to be able to access the parameters), change of parameters following a lot of reading on the forum and manuals...

I include below a few shots from the Cerbo Touch. At the time I took them, it was bright sun shine and the panels could have produced close to 4 000 W, but they were stuck at 600 W.... Would anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this? Let me know if you need additional information, I would do my best to find it...

20221117-131718.jpg
20221117-131736.jpg20221117-131758.jpg

ESS
20221117-131718.jpg (145.4 KiB)
20221117-131736.jpg (168.7 KiB)
20221117-131758.jpg (130.3 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Rick987

Fornius arent so 'open source' with their user training for setup. There is some help here.

You need to check the frequency the system is running at. Maybe it is being throttled. Or the incoming voltage as well? It is also possible it is being throttled in settings.

Switch off grid and see if it ramps up?

The SOC raised like that is part of battery life in ESS. It will do that if it does not see that your battery is getting fully charged each day.

And your installer should definitely not leave you to program a complex system. Especially one with Fronius in it. It is fairly complicatedfor a first timer. But if you pkug at it you will get it right.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
rick987 avatar image
rick987 answered ·

Hello and many thanks for the quick feedback. I switched off the grid, the Quattros started to provide power to the house from the batteries, and the production of solar power came to zero (while there is plenty of sunshine...). This is not what I had expected (I thought the Fronius would continue providing solar power to feed house loads, and that the Quattros would provide additional power from batteries if the houseloads > solar power?).

On the SOC with batterylife,I think I understand what you say and because my system does not yet charge batteries automatically, the SOC stays limited at 80% (the only way I have been able to charge the batteries so far is through scheduled charges, which batterylife probably does not take into account).

On the system frequency and voltage, please see below a few additional shots from the Cerbo Touch. If frequencies, voltages from other parts of the system are needed, kindly let me know (I counted 12 softwares on my system, so data is plenty!).

Thanks for your help.

20221117-145014.jpg
20221117-145026.jpg

20221117-145037.jpg20221117-145103.jpg

20221117-145014.jpg (164.5 KiB)
20221117-145026.jpg (176.5 KiB)
20221117-145037.jpg (180.6 KiB)
20221117-145103.jpg (160.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paulcupine avatar image
paulcupine answered ·

What happens if you switch on exporting of excess AC coupled solar to grid? Does the power go to the grid or does it start to charge the batteries?

2 |3000

datafunk avatar image
datafunk answered ·

Hello Rick987,

for me it seems to be a misconfigured or misinstalled ESS System. I am using three Multiplus II / 48 5000 / 70 in a three phase System together with the Fonius Symo 8.2-3 same as yours. My system stays "online" without grid and the solar works too without any interruption. If your Symo is switching off while the grid is off, it misses the synchronisation. The most important thing is the installation of the Fronius at the output side of the Victron Inverters, this is the side where the "critical loads" are feeded, the side with the UPS function. Second thing is the frequency range in the ESS setup, third the Fronius should be in "microgrid mode". Steering the load management should be done using Modbus/Tcp.

Best regards!

2 |3000

rick987 avatar image
rick987 answered ·

Hello, many thanks for the various tips, great to know there are people out there to help!

Good news: I got the batteries to charge from the solar panels during the sunny hours. I am in optimized mode without batterylife, with a minimum SOC of 65%. The problem seems to have been the grid set point. It had been set to 0W, I increased it to 100W, and, miracle, the charging started... I certainly don't understand why, but it works. Now, when there is grid power, the system works as intended, with one problem left: by the morning, the batteries have discharged to the set minimum SOC at 65%. At that stage, the charging from the solar panels won't start at a significant level (i.e. beyond a few hundred watts), unless I increase a bit the minimum SOC setting to, say 70%. At that point, the charging immediately goes to the max (several thousand watts) the solar panels produce (minus the power consumed by the loads). Right after that, I can decrease again the minimum SOC to 65%, this will not pertubate the charging of the batteries which will go on. I know there must be a way for charging to be triggered automatically. All suggestions on what I should be doing are welcome...

Now, when there is a power outage, the Quattros feed the loads from the batteries, and the Fronius is on (for example, I can go through the Fronius menu), but there is no power coming from the solar panels during the sunny hours, to help the batteries feed the loads. I will continue my research along the lines suggested in your messages.

Many thanks again!

2 |3000