question

vincent avatar image
vincent asked

Quattro buzzing and LEDs??

So, this is happening once in awhile in an ESS system. It happens when there is no PV on the quattro's output, and loads are low. There is nothing shown on the CCGX display that "syncs up" with the weird sound. All voltages, power numbers in and out are stable.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FkrUdX7YyRXFzkNz7

Clues:

• increase loads, the cycling speeds up.
  • When PV returns in the morning on the AC output, it stops doing this.
  • If I turn both Quattros off and on again using the switch while there is load, this quattro's output stays on
  • If I first remove the load from the output, then it turns off and on normally
  • When reset the problem goes away until a few days later
  • nobody is in the building when it happens, no special loads, just a dozen computers.

It kind of sounds a bit like relay chatter, but might just be the transformer coils. Should I discontinue use and warranty this one?

The LEDs are also behaving oddly. Why would both inverter's LEDs be in different states in a multi-phase system? They switch as group.

Help is greatly appreciated!

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@Vincent Hello Vincent,

what is the firmware version used in the Quattros?
If this is not the latest please update to version 459.

You can find this here: https://professional.victronenergy.com/downloads/firmware

best regards

Martijn Coster

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vincent avatar image vincent commented ·

Hello, both are version 459. I appreciate your help!

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

could you please send a full wiring diagram of how you have this all setup and what is connected to the ac1 out

also how is the ess setup and what country code has been setup

plus some screen shots of all the settings in VE config.

and also have both inverters been setup correctly by using the ve quick connect software.

have you got a ccgx and is the vrm setup etc

1 comment
2 |3000

vincent avatar image vincent commented ·

It's too simple for a diagram really... 2 x Fronius inverters AC coupled on the output of two Quattros. One quattro is doing L1, one is doing L2. Each Fronius is connected to L1, L2, and N.

Each quattro is fed by dual #4/0 to a shared 20kwH 24V AGM battery bank.

The AC output connections are #8AWG, and go to terminal blocks where they are connected with the Fronius inverters and the outgoing loads. (not all connections present in the below photo)

The ESS is set to "none" for country with default LOD parameters. There isn't a setting for my country. I don't use "quick connect", I use the VE Bus system configurator. All settings are pretty much default. The charge profile works great for scheduled charges and is able to bring the batteries to near 100% in a couple of hours.

VRM has been logging for a couple years in "normal mode", the PV system is new, and with that the ESS configuration is new, and the noise is new.

Both inverters appear to work correctly, having no issues powering loads and working with the PV inverters. The ESS system limits the power of the Fronius inverters over modbus-tcp to prevent feed-in, this works well.

Thanks for your assistance!

0 Likes 0 ·
1556917665534.png (5.5 MiB)
1556917744878.png (2.8 MiB)
Charlie avatar image
Charlie answered ·

do you have more pictures of your setup?

2 |3000