question

andrewkerr avatar image
andrewkerr asked

newbie, simple ess setup but cant get it off passthru

Help,

I thought buying Victron kit would offer the best peace of mind because of quality and experience of the company. I am not wrong,

Only disappointment is in myself for not being able to see what I am missing. Great kit and lots of info but I cant seem to get all the dots to join up, its too clever for me.

I keep on thinking got it now but no. I just want to use it as an ess system augmenting what I already have. I have solar and bats but was looking to increase my bat storage and charge during off peak which limits the bat size due to charging power/ times.

I thought it must be straight forward but I realise now the ess is an addon as an assistant so has to follow much of the structure the multi has to offer in terms of control.

Im getting lost in the detail so can any one help this newbie, thanks in advance.

I have multi 2 with cerbogx has no AC loads, 48v lifepo4 bats with a BMS and a 500A shunt.

The multi is connected to grid in a parallel fashion, it has the external current sensor the CT coil which is wrapped around themain tail feeding the consumer unit.

My thinking is the current sensor is seen as the external current sensor once pluged in, the ess assistant would inform the multi what mode it is in, how can you get much simpler, BUT what I am doing wrong.

All firmware updated. The dash board looks like how I envisaged it, 3 boxes, ac1 in as grid, the bats and the multi but just sitting in passthru mode.

ESS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andrewkerr avatar image andrewkerr commented ·

I look but do not see ... I have been through the docs a few times but at diferent times may be looking for something else. The answer was simple, if using CT coil then the meter is the multi. Thanks chaps.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Louis van der Walt avatar image
Louis van der Walt answered ·

Once you have the ESS assistant installed, make sure you have the correct grid meter selected under Settings -> ESS -> Grid Meter/Multi

It is also work it to workd trough the ESS guide and all the sub parts https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/ess-quick-installation-guide.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @andrew.kerr,

There is a specific FAQ in the ESS manual that explains all the causes of a system to be in pass thru mode - https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/faq.html#UUID-169dbd85-4b6f-814b-33c2-9fa77a6973d2_section-idm4628123204859232885885561444

Hopefully working through that list can help you identify why in your system.

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

There are also some great video tutorials at professional.victronenergy.com

The answer is almost always in the docs you have been referred to.

If you have a mk3 usb device make sure you don't leave it connected with the GX.

There is also nothing preventing you deconfiguring your current sensor for testing. Keep it simple, go back to the beginning/basics and step through it step by step.

You'll figure it out.

2 |3000