question

lazza avatar image
lazza asked

ESS- When load is greater than maximum inverter power- what happens?

Hi

I'm looking at setting up a DC-coupled ESS system with RS 450s. It will be 3 phase: 10kVA per phase with 3 x Quattro 48/10000.

All loads will be on the AC Out. However, there is a 40kVA supply and I wonder what happens if at some moment, some 35kVAs are drawn from the system- and if there is sufficient battery capacity, will the inverters provide their maximum (30kVAs) and the remaining 5kVAs come from the grid with no problem? Similarly, if more than 10kVA is pulled from one of the phases- will the remaining load be powered seamlessly from the grid on that phase?

(I'm only talking about in ESS mode, obviously if there is a black-out, I understand that in back-up mode, the power will be limited by the maximum inverter power)

Thanks

Larry

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Yes, the extra required will be drawn from the AC supply.

This video I made about ESS goes into a bit more detail - https://vimeo.com/484986737

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lazza avatar image lazza commented ·
Thanks Guy.

Quick additional question: How does the Victron limit its power to its maximum?- is it automatic or should I put an inverter power limit in the ESS programming? ...

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ lazza commented ·
The inverters will draw as needed, much in the same way that they adjust their output based on temperature.

You can limit your input current as well as ESS inverter output limits, as required, but usually the latter isn't needed on a properly sized system, though some times you may want to limit how fast the battery discharges.

Depends on your requirements.

It's all pretty simple, it just works.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ lazza commented ·

@Lazza

Limit inverter power is an available option in ESS. But only works on grid. So during a power outage (or grid rejection) you need to makes sure the loads drop off.

0 Likes 0 ·