question

scottbl avatar image
scottbl asked

Scheduled Charging with Inverter Priority

I have a Multiplus II 48/8000/100 with DC coupled MPPT solar panels. VRM shown below

screenshot-2022-10-02-at-214044.png

I have installed the ESS assistant with the aim of using Scheduled Charging during the hours of 2am to 6am two days a week. Ideally being able to charge the Lithium batteries (42kw/hr) up to 80% SOC.

I just cannot get the charger to klick in during the Scheduled times that have been input into the ESS settings. I have Battery Life disabled.

I would say I have an Inverter Priority system where no mains is drawn as the batteries never get down to the manually input lower SOC.

The aim is to top up the battles in the early hours of the morning where the electricity is supplied at a reduced charge.

Listening the the ESS video at 28:22 Inverter Priority is mentioned as not being covered by ESS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpQzEZTElI

Have I missed something about ESS and Scheduled Charging??

To me the system I have installed seems very logical and straightforward. I am struggling to actually understand if ESS covers this requirement or why ESS does not cover this requirement?

Any suggestions or clarifications would be greatly appreciated.

ESS
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
You don't seem to have any AC in present. ESS would not be able to charge from AC in if there is no AC available.
0 Likes 0 ·
scottbl avatar image scottbl wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Hi wkirby,

Well spotted and maybe the issue. Since I installed the system and the Cerbo GX I have not been able to get the VRM to display the AC Input however when I change the MultiPlus via the URM portal from Inverter Only to ON the batteries charge from the mains. BUT the AC in does not display correctly during charging, it shows a very small cargo like 21watts. The batteries show around 5000watt charging correctly.

I have just been back into the Remote Console to double check the AC Input status for the Multiplus. For the Multiplus is shows Disconnected??? but does show the voltage and frequency.

I think I need to connect with the MK3 adaptor to change and check this setting. Unable to change this via the remote console so will look tonight when I am home.

I will feedback what I find and thank you for giving me a push in the right direction.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
scottbl avatar image
scottbl answered ·

Cargo should read Charge in the message above

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scottbl avatar image
scottbl answered ·

I have had another look at the settings for my ESS Assistant and general installation.

In order to have the AC input active I seem to only be able to have the inverter in Passthu and/or charging the battery.

I am looking to have the AC input active but have Inverter on and only charge the batteries during the ESS charging scheduled times.

I have the main switch at the bottom of the Multiplus set to On. But via the VRM portal have changed the Mode to inverter only. If change this to On the battery starts charging and Passthu is activated.

One thing that experienced people might be able to help me with is when in Passthru and Charging modes AC input power is suppled however the AC input display on the VRM Portal still does not accurately show the charge wattage being drawn into the Multiplus on AC input. It usually shows a small value like 95 watts. There could be a fundamental error in my settings??

2 |3000

scottbl avatar image
scottbl answered ·

Update - Implementing ESS issues for my install was caused by a problem with the Inverter Charger. This has now been resolved by sending the unit back for repair.

I now understand the ESS system a little better (https://vimeo.com/484986737)

Would be nice to have scheduled charging from the Grid for a system that does not feed anything back into the grid. This is more of an off grid system that just needs the batteries topped up occasionally. ESS does not all this - see video link above.

I have enough battery capacity to run the house for a week in winter (UK) but over many cloudy days the batteries need recharging. Ideally during the hours of 2am to 6am. Currently I set the alarm to get up and turn charging on.

Victron if you have a suggestion for setting up timed (schedule) charging without using ESS I would be pleased to hear about this. Ideally not going to a third party external control system.

2 |3000