question

joerg-winkel avatar image
joerg-winkel asked

ESS System does not work as expected

I just installed an ESS system:

- Two MPPT 450/100

- Three Pylontech US5000

- Three Multiplus II 48/3000, grid connected to AC In, all loads connected to AC Out 1, nothing connected to AC Out 2

- Cerbo, EM24

As long as the grid is disconnected the system works as expected - MPPT supplying power to Multis and charging the battery, in the evening batteries are used to power the Multis.
When I connect to the grid the Multis go in passthrough mode and the MPPT's reduce their output to close to 0, batteries are at 100% SOC and are not being used.

What can I do to make the system work as expected - use PV and Batteries to power my house until Batteries are depleted to minimum SOC?

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
joerg-winkel answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

I found the solution: The Switch on the EM24 was still set to "lock". This is merely mentioned in the installation instructions and should be included in Victron's FAQ.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Sounds like the ESS assistant is not installed on the MultiPlus'.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start

2 |3000

joerg-winkel answered ·

I installed the ESS assistant on all Multis:

neu-1.jpg

neu-2.jpgneu-3.jpgneu-4.jpg

neu-5.jpg

neu-6.jpg

Still:

vrm-1.jpg

neu-1.jpg (158.3 KiB)
neu-2.jpg (130.0 KiB)
neu-3.jpg (179.8 KiB)
neu-4.jpg (161.7 KiB)
neu-5.jpg (157.6 KiB)
neu-6.jpg (138.8 KiB)
vrm-1.jpg (93.5 KiB)
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

On the cerbo, under settings, can you see an ESS tab with all its settings?

If you look under the pylon entry in the cerbo, under details tab, are all packs visible and any blocking charge/discharge?

What values were set in the ESS assistant?

2 |3000

joerg-winkel answered ·

pylon-1.jpg (69.3 KiB)
ess-1.jpg (64.9 KiB)
ess-2.jpg (55.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Joerg Winkel,

There are some very specific causes that result in passthru mode; please have a look at this FAQ;

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/faq.html#UUID-169dbd85-4b6f-814b-33c2-9fa77a6973d2_section-idm4628123204859232885885561444

Hopefully you find the answer there, if not, please write down all the tests and results you did for each of those causes and report back.

2 |3000

joerg-winkel answered ·

Hi @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ,

here are my tests and results:

1) Grid meter:

I have an EM24 installed, it shows up under Settings -> Energy Meter:

em24.jpgIn addition, I assume that the Cerbo receives data from the unit as it shows values for the Grid connection (Shore):

screen.jpg

2) CAN-Bus connection to the Battery:

my Battery is connected to BMS-Can. It shows up in above screen, showing showing discharge current if I switch off the grid connection and charge data if I reconnect. In addition, I see

pylon.jpg

3) Charging the Battery is not allowed:

I do not really understand this. If the battery is full and there is excess PV it should be used to either feed AC Out 1 or AC In, depending on the setup (Feed to Grid allowed or not)? However, the Battery states "Number of modules blocking charge/discharge" as 0.

4) DCL etc.

DCL is 240A, SOC is 100%, Minimum SOC is set to 45%

5) Grid Code

Grid code is set to Germany with internal NS protection,

6) LOM

LOM protection AC Input 1 is set to Type B. As Feed-In is still disabled (awaiting permission from our grid supplier), this should not be a problem.

em24.jpg (39.9 KiB)
screen.jpg (82.1 KiB)
pylon.jpg (54.9 KiB)
2 |3000