question

Kees-Jan (SensorX) avatar image
Kees-Jan (SensorX) asked

Electric car as homebattery

Has anyone experiences with using an electric-car as home battery. Although not all cars are suitable for a bi-directional connections, i am curious to know if their is already some experiences with this. In addition how to connect it in combination with a 3-phase Victron Multi plus II setup?

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Vehicle to Grid (aka V2G) still seems to be experimental and so not very many car have this capability.
Theoretically, V2G capable vehicles could be AC coupled to the AC Out of a MultiPlus and supply loads and house battery charging that way.
I'm not sure on how V2G is to be controlled, the idea being that the network operators can somehow summon energy from cars whose owners have agreed to participate in assisting when demand is high. No idea if the vehicle owner could control this.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

juniorpv avatar image juniorpv commented ·

Let's talk about V2H (vehicle 2 home) , thus the power stays behind the meter.

Can I let the MP2 connected to the grid and plug the car battery (Li-Ion: 48VDC) to the battery pole, once I come home ?

Are the MP2 48VDC stable w/o battery or do I need to have a "resistor" or a small battery still connected ?

Sure, I need to have a kind of hardware "interface" and cerbo gx for control logic.

Anyone out, who tried it out ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

One of the problems with using your car's battery as a home batter - or as an extension to a home battery is the operating voltage, car batteries are 380 - 800V, and so are incompatible with low voltage systems. The DC charging port (fast charge) does allow direct access to the battery though, so can be used for discharging.

On the practical side though, this will increase the wear on the car battery - which is more expensive to replace. It will also leave the battery in a uncertain state of charge when disconnected. On disconnection, the house system becomes reduced in capacity.

There are some Chinese inverters that do allow this, though.

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Don't know about the AC coupled home systems like Enphase and Tesla but the Generac system is DC coupled at 380 volts, so maybe there's a chance with that. Still you'd need more than just paralleling batteries even of the voltages match. And you'd want to limit the discharge so you can get your car to the nearest charging station.

I know some of the trucks have fairly large inverters. Would these get involved in providing home power? That is, AC coupling the inverter output to the home energy system?

0 Likes 0 ·
enodev avatar image
enodev answered ·

I am trying to follow what Marc at https://www.switch-ev.com/ is doing but I am not sure it is production ready yet… although it all sounds very nice and they are taking a good open source approach so it may work in the end…

2 |3000