question

dylan avatar image
dylan asked

Why does my ess system feed the grid when the geyser comes on?

869f47c2-0a51-48fe-bb2a-4cfdf5027817.jpeg

The system: 2 x 5kva multiplus 2 in parallel, 1 e112 meter 1 450/100 rs

The only load on the grid side is the geyser. When it comes on the system always feeds around 450w to 500w to the grid. All meter wiring double checked. Why would this be? Feedin excess is off and grid setpoint is 0.

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

Is the AC and DC wiring on the two inverters perfectly symmetrical?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.bus:manual_parallel_and_three_phase_systems#dc_and_ac_wiring

For units in parallel: Both the DC and AC wiring needs to be symmetrical per phase: use the same length, type and cross-section to every unit in the phase. To make this easy, use a bus-bar or power-post before and after the inverter/chargers. Also, apply the same torque on all connections.
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dylan avatar image dylan commented ·

Yes all wiring is same length type and is perfectly symmetrical.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ dylan commented ·
@Dylan

Try pulling some power from grid, put the set point uo by 50 or 100w see if that helps.

0 Likes 0 ·
dylan avatar image dylan Alexandra ♦ commented ·
It does not matter what set pint you set it at when the geyser comes on it shows feeding grid by 400 or 500. Its not supposed to feed at all, I am ok with little bits, but 500 constantly when geyser is on. this is not correct. Other sites I have dont do this.
0 Likes 0 ·
Juraj Nikolov avatar image Juraj Nikolov dylan commented ·

@Dylan
Under ess, you should be able to set the load from which the inverter will be connected, which I found, if the mains consumption is set to 250-350W, it should stop feeding the mains.

But the victron always fed the grid, even if just a little bit of feed... but he still fed :D

Try it.

That's why I switched to Off-grid and I'm looking for another solution to connect to the grid.

I still have a lot to learn, but I haven't found any options regarding documentation (this is realy poor) - specifically in assistant programming.

I assume there will be a path in those assistants...

0 Likes 0 ·
dylan avatar image dylan Juraj Nikolov commented ·
Yes You can set the set pount, but this does not help it still feeds 500w to grid. Other sites I ahve don't do this.
0 Likes 0 ·
dylan avatar image
dylan answered ·

Could this be because of the internal current sensor of the Multipluses? Would the trick of inserting a Jack in the current sensor Jack work, if it does not, is the multiplus faulty?

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·
Have you considered, configuring them individually as standalone and seeing if one or both works fine on their own?

You can try wiggle the sensor jack in each, could also have an iffy meter, but I would try the test, above.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks that was my next step.
0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

The next step to investigate further would be to do a physical test with a clamp meter.

With the geyser on, measuring the amount of current that is provided by each Multi individually to see if that is balanced, and measuring at the AC output line to the grid to see if there is actual current flowing (to confirm what is being reported in VRM is matching the reality).

8 comments
2 |3000

thanks, will do.
0 Likes 0 ·
dylan avatar image dylan dylan commented ·

What I have noticed. when I updated the cerbo to 2.89 the Vrm ID changed . So I am going to do a reset on the cerbo, maybe there is a glitch

0 Likes 0 ·
dylan avatar image dylan dylan commented ·
@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) I have checked all cables are the same length. I have changed the e112 meter, but it still wont cover the full load on the Grid side even though there is power to spare. What I did measure is the amps individually from each ac input, which is the amps pushed to grid side load. The one inverter pulls 6 amps and the other only 3. What would this be?

0 Likes 0 ·
svenironhand avatar image svenironhand commented ·
I have a similar issue where my client is exporting even though the grid feed in is set to 0w or set to off completely. Sometimes for 15min at a time
0 Likes 0 ·
svenironhand avatar image svenironhand svenironhand commented ·

He has his grid setpoint at 10w. Could this be the issue? He has two multiplus ii 48/5000's in parallel and all the cabling is exactly the same. We measured the length and the resistance to verify its the same.

0 Likes 0 ·
Juraj Nikolov avatar image Juraj Nikolov svenironhand commented ·

@SvenIronhand try to set setpoint at 20-50W or more.

As example: I got set -10 and it oscillate between -30 ~ +10 W if I set -20, I get 0 or sometime + 10 W, just it sometime jump on + (in your case minus - )

0 Likes 0 ·
svenironhand avatar image svenironhand Juraj Nikolov commented ·

If it was that low it would be fine. It goes all the way up to -400w

0 Likes 0 ·
Juraj Nikolov avatar image Juraj Nikolov svenironhand commented ·

@SvenIronhand after update multi on firmware 505 is beter in my case

0 Likes 0 ·
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@Dylan If you have a Victron CT sensor fitted the wrong way round, and your geyser pulls more than the inverter capacity, by pulling energy from the grid with a CT sensor fitted the wrong way round, you'll find you'll be exporting during periods of high load. Im speaking from experience as I had that issue during high loads, specifically when the hot water came on and when the oven was on. I didnt spot the arrow on the CT sensor.

2 |3000