question

norrback avatar image
norrback asked

Multiplus compact version, smartsolar and ESS

Hi, this is what I would like to achieve, see picture also with schematics.

Daytime (green arrows):

- Run load on solar - power from MPPT through inverter to load

- Charge battery on the leftover solar current (split solar charge current to inverter and battery, is the split configurable in some way?)

Nighttime (orange arrow):

- Run load from battery through inverter

- If battery SOC is too low use grid power (light blue arrow from grid through Multiplus)

Equipment I already have:

- Multiplus Compact - mfd. 2013

- Smartsolar 150/60 MPPT - mfd. 2021

- Solarcells and battery

The question is can I create this configuration with the multiplus compact I have if I purchase the Cerbo GX controller? I also read something about gen2 processor on multis needed and some firmware version limitiations. But I could not get the grips of it. So I try to ask here:

1. what should I check with my multi compact to be sure I get this to work as I plan.

2. And can this be done with the cerbo GX and a multi compact?

/Andre´

ess-victron-solar.png

ESS
ess-victron-solar.png (249.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
jm0278 avatar image
jm0278 answered ·

I can't speak to the Muliplus Compact, especially one that old, but I'm executing essentially what you describe with a Multiplus-II and a Cerbo GX. Having a lot of fun with it and am now in the process of creating my own ESS Mode 2 control code in python.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

norrback avatar image
norrback answered ·

Here are the serial number and fw version. So the question is, can this be used in the way described with cerbo gx controller.

img20220613180724.jpgImage Caption

img20220613202102.jpg

2 |3000

norrback avatar image
norrback answered ·

From the ESS manual, it clearly sais that you need to have the "products" model numer to start with 26 or 27. So my Compact is an 1916, cannot use ESS. I updated to ....209 firmware but the GX sais no ESS available, so seems true?

Inverter/charger

The Energy Storage system, uses a Multi or Quattro bidirectional inverter/charger as its main component.

Note that ESS can only be installed on Multis and Quattros which feature the 2nd generation microprocessor (26 or 27). All new systems shipped have 2nd generation chips.

Ok, now when I know that. Can my use case be made with the compact and some clever settings? Not so it exactly functions like ESS but so I get the main functionality. I can even have settings I need to change once or twice a day to get the functionality.

And to recap, the thing was to use as much of PV as possible to run the load and charge batteries, and then only AC when ever needed. One possibility could be to always use some AC, maybe really low power assist can be tricked in some way to get it done.

maybe assistant mode Self-consumption HUB-1 can be used?

1 comment
2 |3000

norrback avatar image norrback commented ·
again when I read a little bit more. only the hub2v2 can be used with the 19 processor, so no supprt for old hub2 mode. so what is left is some tweaking with settings and some type of user input daily.
0 Likes 0 ·
alexcj avatar image
alexcj answered ·

I did exactly this with an older Multiplus Compact 24/1200

I tried many things, but only "ignoring AC INPUT" untill Battery Voltage is below a certain threshold, somewhat did what I wanted.

I used the assistant version of the older firmware.

I now have a newer Compact 24/1600 (with newer firmware) and have now access to all ESS has to offer.

Regards, Alex

1 comment
2 |3000

alexcj avatar image alexcj commented ·

I found my old config:

These are the assistents I used:

- general flag user

- generator start and stop.

schermafbeelding-2022-06-27-om-153305.png

Hope it is usefull.

Alex

0 Likes 0 ·