question

dgmar-ni avatar image
dgmar-ni asked

Quattro 20kW ESS

I will install a system as it is in the attached diagram configured for ESS.

diagrama-esquematico.jpg

My doubt is:

When the system comes on, is the excess solar power going to support both the backup panel and the main panel or just the backup panel?

Does the previous question still apply if I disable excess solar power from being injected into the grid on the Venus GX (the grid meter is not bidirectional)?

I will be grateful if you clarify my doubt.

Greetings.

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@dgmar_ni

The inverter has two outputs, one is programmable (on or off in certain conditions). Anything that passes through the inverter is backed up that way and fed by solar.

It will pull whatever solar cannot cover from the grid or battery depending on how you program battery conditions.

You can prevent grid feedback by always pulling something from the grid if feedback is not allowed.

Everything is explained in the ess manual.

I will advise getting some help from an agent/distributor for your split phase inverter setup. And check if it allowed by local regulations /grid codes to be installed with ESS.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

As long as grid is present, I believe your main panel (6) will receive power from your PV arrays via the inverter. To do this, you will need a grid meter feeding into a GX device such as Cerbo GX, then programming things to avoid feeding excess power to the grid.

It will take some time (usually a few seconds) for the Quattro to recognize the grid and make that connection. Before that happens, only the backup load panel (5) would receive inverter power.

The AC out 2 from the Quattro normally disconnects when grid is lost but can be programmed for other conditions as Alexandra says. It appears your drawing has the main panel connected directly to the grid, not to this AC out 2. So you would not have the benefit of alternate conditions to feed that panel. Plus, unless there is a disconnect between the main panel and the grid you could never feed power from the inverter back into that panel if the grid is down. Depending on the loads in your main panel, feeding it from the AC out 2 from the Quattro might provide you with more options since the Quatro would disconnect from the grid but the AC out 2 could still provide power to the main panel.

Note however that AC out 2 is limited to 50 amps even when passing through from the grid.

2 |3000