question

M. K. avatar image
M. K. asked

ESS Issues with GRID (Grid Feeding Option Turned Off)

Dear Community,

I have an issue with commissioning Victron System. It is an ESS systems with DC coupled solar system with the following:

• MultiPlus II 48/8000/110-100
  • MPPT RS 450 200
  • Cerbo GX + Touch
  • BYD BMU
  • 8 5kWh LV Flex Lite
  • normal protections with by pass change-over switch

So, I programmed the system in ESS (Battery Optimized) mode with all parameters checked... When the system is working in Off-grid mode (UPS mode) it is working fine. However, the problem I am facing is when I switch on the grid... the Load shows that it is zero (as per the photo below) and the load power is showing at the Grid side as negative energy (or feeding the grid). When the Grid is on also the load remains on and the battery charge. I switch off the grid feeding option. I think the multiplus II doesnot have current sensor / CT. I did not install it in the system as the grid is directly connected to the Multiplus. I used Output-1 from Multiplus II and Output 2 kept it empty.

It would be great if you can support and advice if the CT is mandatory so that the Multiplus understands what is the power taken from the Grid and adjust the figures in the Cerbo.

SLD Final-Model.pdf

20220510-152809.jpg

1653632242452.png

whatsapp-image-2022-05-26-at-125430-pm.jpeg

ESS
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi

ESS (Battery Optimized) should be set to Not Optimized mode for Lithium battery banks.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 Rob Duthie commented ·

Not exactly. For LiFePO4 in my opinion "Optimized (without BatteryLife)" is preferred.

(And probably this is what you meant).

He only mentions he uses Optimized mode, but not which one (with or without BatteryLife). Since he does not mention BatteryLife, probably he does not use that.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

What have you set in "Settings"-"ESS"-"Grid metering" in your Cerbo GX?

It should be Inverter/charger in this case.

Also, what is set in "Settings"-"System setup"-"Battery monitor"?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

M. K. avatar image M. K. commented ·
I figured it out. We have to release the inbuilt current sensor socket by plugging jack plug (ie. earphone plug) several times to make the multiplus understand that there is no external current sensor.

thank you

1 Like 1 ·