question

paulo-m avatar image
paulo-m asked

ESS scheduled charging settings from external controler?

Does anyone know if there is a way to edit the settings in the ESS schedule charging with an external control of some kind? I charge the batteries over a cheaper/cleaner overnight period with the schedule charging, but instead of manually adjusting the settings to allow enough storage for solar charging during the day, I was looking automate this process with an external controller.

Had a look at MQTT but the "ESS active SoC" which seems to specify a SocLimit (/Settings/Cgwacs/BatteryLife/SocLimit) is read only so no good for this.

Thank you in advance

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

These specific settings are not available from external control.
When I used to have ESS, I seem to remember setting the the grid setpoint to control whether or not I wanted to charge. The external application could also read the SOC and stop charge at a certain level.
Now that I don't have ESS anymore, I write to the CerboGX relay if I want to charge. The relay contact is wired into the Multi Aux input to ignore AC or not.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

I think you can do it via Node Red with the Venus large release. It would be better to ask about that in the modifications section.

2 |3000

alex-bush avatar image
alex-bush answered ·

I use MQTT to set my SoC limit, you need to use the "W/<id>/settings/0/Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/MinimumSocLimit" path, rather than the "N/<id>/settings/0/Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/MinimumSocLimit" path to set it as with the other MQTT settings. I found this out by chance looking on this forum for the same reason!

All N are read only, all W are write.

With scheduled charging, you can define how much charge you want using the "Stop At %" option in the settings. This is also available via MQTT.

2 |3000

Chris Hill avatar image
Chris Hill answered ·

I’m also after this there was something in a previous assistant called , “ winter mode “ which would allow you to close up a auxiliary input which automatically charges battery’s

It’s something I would love to see in ESS and glad I’m not the only person

2 |3000