question

gbb avatar image
gbb asked

How to find dbus path for additional shunts?

Attached to my Cerbo I have a Lynx shunt and a Smart Shunt. In VRM, I can see data from both. However in my grafana dashboard I can't seem to guess the Dbus path for the Smart Shunt.

Some questions that will help me on this quest:

1. Is there a way to see all of the dbus paths that have been recorded in the influx database? I have tried to use the explore with little success.
  2. This https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/dbus#battery suggests that each shunt would have its own service on the dbus. Then describes logging into a device and running dbus -y or dbus-spy - any tips or tutorials on how I can get started with this?

thanks everyone!

grafana
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
elvis avatar image
elvis answered ·

enable ssh root access

ssh root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

dbus-spy

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gbb avatar image
gbb answered ·

ssh access how fun!! Using the dbus -y and dbus-spy I can see the Smart Shunt, along other things. This seems to be the dbusservice that I am looking for: com.victronenergy.battery.ttyUSB0

Now, how do I reference this within grafana? Is the information populated within influx come from com.victronenergy.system only?

Thanks in advance !

2 |3000

gbb avatar image
gbb answered ·

I discovered a few things. Thought I'd share in case someone else was learning like me.

1. Enabling SSH on the device. Read and reread the instructions. It took me longer than I care to admit to enable.
  2. using dbus -y and dbus-spy really was key to knowing whats available from the Cerbo. (thanks elvis)
  3. using the query "SHOW SERIES" in graphana - showed everything that was being pumped into Influxdb. You also have to show the table view in the explorer tab and you also have to hit the Toggle Text edit mode button to show the query to be able to paste that in.
  4. Multiple devices from Victron will use the same measurement name, but will have a different instanceNumber which needs to be added to the WHERE clause in the grafana query.
  5. The dbus service names found in dbus-spy doesn't exactly equal to the name of the measurement.

Hope someone finds it helpful !

2 |3000