question

mike-4 avatar image
mike-4 asked

Is there a new(er) version of 'Victron BlueSolar MPPT 150-70 set up - HUB-1-System-Lay-out-V3-4-8-2014ADR.pdf' available?

The available (but outdated) layout: 'Victron BlueSolar MPPT 150-70 set up - HUB-1-System-Lay-out-V3-4-8-2014ADR.pdf' has helped me a lot.

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/systems#item=system-bluesolar-mppt-150-70-150-85-can-bus

Is there (or does anyone have) a new(er) version for a HUB system based on 2 x BlueSolar MPPT 150/70 i.c.w. with a matching Multi or Quattro and other equipment?

I am very new to the community and saw that the community guidelines state that too specific questions on system design issues are not allowed.

I am therefore sharing my specific case and considerations below only in light of my question on the new(er) version of the document for MPPT 150-70 HUB system and trust them to be general enough in that way.

My situation:

Present:

12 x Tamesol Polycrystalline Silicon Solar Panel 250W (1640 x 992 x 40mm) – (TM-P660250 ???)

2 x Victron BlueSolar MPPT 150/70 TR

Desired:

ESS HUB - system: Grid interactive setup (parallel?) without (the possibility of) feedback to the Grid and aimed at optimal own consumption efficiency (minimum grid feeding).

Considerations:

-Which Multi/Quattro should I choose (as a minimum)? Based on what I have read, I conclude that the MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 PMP482505010 is the most economical and suitable choice.

-Which batteries are the best choice? I believe that the Pylontech H48050 lithium battery 48V/50Ah/2.4kWh (minimum 4 units required, I understand) is the most suitable choice.

-Which GX product fits best? My idea is that the Cerbo GX BPP900450100 is the most suitable.

-As for the battery monitor, I have no idea of the difference between the BMV-700 and the BMV-702, but I think the 700 will do.

Tips/comments/advice on the HUB setup are very welcome.

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Mike@Victron

You won't need the BMV. The Pylontec already reports all needed information to the Cerbo. The size inverter (and consequently the battery bank) is based on your peak loads. 5kVA is good for most homes if loads are managed. So do a power audit and see from there.

The HUB assistants are deprecated meaning they are no longer being updated (including documents and dawings) in favor of the ESS assistant. Comparison can be found here.

You can prevent feedback on an ESS system by always pulling a few watts from the grid using the grid set point. But if feedback is not outlawed on penalty 0W grid set point is fine. If your solar is sufficient for your loads ess automatically keeps to the 0W . If pv is down in production from clouds etc then it pulls more from the grid, or if you prefer it will draw from your battery, you can control the depth of discharge as well. All configured by you from the GX after the assistant is loaded on the inverter.

Or you can use the good old virtual switch to ignore AC and connect on set conditions like load or battery SOC.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike-4 avatar image mike-4 commented ·

I accidently responded to my own question, so again in 'comment' this time:

Hi Alexandra,

Many thanks for your answer. It will help me along further, I trust (especially the 'comparison'). You suggest a power audit, but I am working the other way around: To begin with (totally new at this) I will have an ESS set up based on what I have already got (the 12 panels and the 2 MPPT 150/70 - bought second hand), buy the minimal additions (such as batteries, a Multi or a Quattro, GX, etc) to it and use the Grid for any surplus power I need. Feedback to the Grid is not possible (or allowed, I think) where I live (Canary Islands), so I plan to use the Grid set point you suggested (thanks again). Maybe my reasoning is completely (or partly) wrong, but: From what I have read the MPPT's will take up to 2000W max PV Power (so 8 panels of 250W max, but I 'll put 6 on each MPPT to be save - I only have 12 panels for now anyway). So 4000W max, on which I based my preference for the MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 PMP482505010 which is the cheapest Multi I could find that has a max feed-in of 4000W (peak 9000W). Could you comment a little on this? As to the batteries, I have just followed the crowd. Most people seem to own or switch to Pylontech i.c.w. Victron appliences. My preference: the H48050 48V/50Ah/2.4kWh - of which I will need 4 according to Victron Battery Compatibility overview: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom I assume what goes for the Multi mentioned there also applies for the Multi II. But maybe there are better battery options that you know of? Again thanks for all your info on the battery part so far (not needing the BMV, GX -depth of discharge settings and virtual switch/set conditions). Lots of reading and learning to do. Much appreciated.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ mike-4 commented ·
The mppt can supply 70A. On a 48v system that is 48x70 = 3360W potential there for solar. 12 panels if you are able to configure without going over the 150v VOC.

Of course you can add more mppts as you are able.

5kVA is 5kVA so the requirements for the multi 2 will be the same as the multi. You are correct there.

Of you want some free formal training on products you can see the youtube victron channel or make an account on Victron Professional for more indepth stuff there. Awesome place to get a good start.

0 Likes 0 ·
mike-4 avatar image mike-4 Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Hi Alexandra,

Thanks so much again. I looked up the specs again (this time in the manual of the Bluesolar MPPT 150/70) and you are right (of course).bluesolar-mppt-150-70.pngActually the MPPT specs state that max pv input power is 4000W (maybe theoretical), your calculation makes more sense to me. Absolute max voltage (VOC) indeed at 150V.

Technical specifications Tamesol Panels

Rated power (Pmax) 250 W
Open circuit voltage (Voc) 37.9 V
Short-circuit current (Isc) 8.65 A
Voltage at maximum power point (Vmax) 30.1 V
Current at maximum power point (Imax) 8.30 A
Dimensions 1640 x 992 x 40 mm
Weight 19.5 kg
Cell type: 156 mm x 156 mm
Number of cells: 60 (6 x 10)
Module efficiency: 15.4%.
High transmittance tempered glass
IP65 junction box
Cables with MC4 connectors

*From the former owner I learned the PV arry produces 10 to 12 kW a day (max 15 kW). So roughly I could run a appliance of 500W for 24hours, if I am not mistaken.

If I grasp the relation between the MPPT specs and the panel specs correctly, it would (theoretically) mean, I can put 150V/30V = 5 panels in series per MPPT or 70A/8.3A = 8 panels in parallel per MPPT.

Rereading I see I made 2 mistakes in my reasoning before where I write: 'I only have 12 panels for now anyway). So 4000W max, on which I based my preference for the MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 PMP482505010 which is the cheapest Multi I could find that has a max feed-in of 4000W (peak 9000W).' First mistake: 12 x 250W = 3000W, second mistake: I now understand that 'feed-in' is in fact: 'energy being fed back to the Grid', which is not possible in my case as I explained and therefore makes no sense at all. I should have written: 'I only have 12 panels for now anyway). So 3000W max (theoretically), on which I based my preference for the MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-50 PMP482505010 which is the cheapest Multi I could find that has a continuous output of 4000W (peak 9000W).'

From what I have read now the continuous output rating of the Multi should be at least the total PV array power + 25% (for surges), so in my case: 3750W. So I am OK there.

I learned the inverter/charger sets the limit for the maximum nominal power to be used. That is, except for a DC-coupled PV set up, where as I understand the size of the PV array and the PV inverter is not limited by the maximum nominal power of the inverter/charger. It allows 'oversizing' so I read. Very interesting: I will read up on that.

So, I thank you again and take your advice and watch some of free formal training sessions on products on the youtube victron channel.

0 Likes 0 ·