question

czauto avatar image
czauto asked

Battery drainage during scheduled charging

Good day ladies and gents.

I've recently run into a new problem in my ESS system after adding and parallelling another 48/3000 Multiplus on my system.

The system consists of 2 x 48/3000/35 Multiplus'es running latest 2620:494 firmware, 2 x 5,1Kwh Freedom Won LiFePo eTower batteries, 150/70 smartsolar MPPT with 12 x 330W Canadian solar PV, Venus GX and ET340 energy meter. The system is connected to a quite stable grid with occasional, proudly South African, loadshedding.

Before adding the 2nd inverter things worked as follow. In the evening, during peak usage time, i've set scheduled charging for 3 hours (17:30 - 20:30) and SOC limit of 80%. The batteries have always been fully charged when scheduled charging activates, even on overcast days, meaning that SOC would never be below 95% at starting time of scheduled charging and during the time, i would have a 0w battery discharge as loads would be drawn from the grid.

After adding the 2nd identical Multiplus, battery discharge will constantly be between 150W and 400W, depending on AC loads. This being the case I now lose up to 15% SOC in the 3 hour scheduled charging timeframe. This is not (only) inverter idle consumption, seeing that AC input is way less than AC loads during this time. With all loads disconnected the inverters have a DC draw of up to 60W which I'm happy with. This also only happens in ESS mode wirh inverters switched on. If i set it to charger only, there is a 0W battery discharge. This started right after the parallel setup was commisioned.

All DC and AC cables on the inverters is the same specified gauge and exact equal length. All connections have been double and triple checked.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Any ideas or solutions? I've tried the search function but cannot seem to find any answers.

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

Have you loaded the ESS assistant on the second inverter?

and, did you use system configurator or VictronConnect to configure the paralleling ?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.