question

Vyacheslav Denysenko avatar image
Vyacheslav Denysenko asked

3phase ESS operation stability

Hello,

Can someone shed a light on how would behave/respond the 3phase ESS system in case if one of the grid phases fails.

Thanks in advance,

Vyacheslav

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@Vyacheslav Denysenko

System will switch to inverting on all phases.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Vyacheslav Denysenko avatar image Vyacheslav Denysenko commented ·
Thanks, that's what I expected. I believe it makes sense to set the system somehow different than ESS. I expect the phases failures will happen quite often.
0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp Vyacheslav Denysenko commented ·
@Vyacheslav Denysenko

If you want your system to react to missing grid on phase by phase basis, You can set each phase as a separate 1-phase system. You will not be able to use a 3-phase equipment but all your 1-phase equipment would work.

0 Likes 0 ·
Vyacheslav Denysenko avatar image Vyacheslav Denysenko marekp commented ·

I was honestly a bit confused by info from a recent Victron's blog https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2021/12/17/electric-vehicle-charging-that-comes-to-you/ . If you look at the GX Touch Screen there, one phase is available as a power source and all three Quattros are running, additionally with a Power-Assist mode switched on. Thanks again.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp Vyacheslav Denysenko commented ·

@Vyacheslav Denysenko

It is possible to set up 3 Inverter/chargers to create system with 1-phase input and 3-phase output.

screen-shot-2022-02-03-at-101844-pm.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Vyacheslav Denysenko avatar image Vyacheslav Denysenko marekp commented ·
Many thanks, that was a missing link in my understanding how to configure the system if only one stable grid phase is available.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

It doesn't matter if you use ESS or not.
If you setup 3 MultiPlus (or Quattro) to run together as 3-phase system, they always switch to inverter mode if one of the phases fails.

2 comments
2 |3000

Vyacheslav Denysenko avatar image Vyacheslav Denysenko commented ·

Thanks, Matthias, I can explain why I was confused a bit. If you open a recent Victron's blog page https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2021/12/17/electric-vehicle-charging-that-comes-to-you/ on the GX Touch Screen you can see the only one phase available as power source and three phases are operating, on top of that it is in Power-Assist mode. That's definitely not an ESS setup, although operating as a 3phase system.

Thanks again,

Vyacheslav

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Vyacheslav Denysenko commented ·
With the VE.bus system configurator you can setup a 3-phase system with only one input.

In such system you should also be able to use a different input on each MultiPlus but if I'm correct it will only use one input at a time. You can't connect a 3-phase grid to the input and use all three phases together. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

0 Likes 0 ·