question

michael-m-b avatar image
michael-m-b asked

Is "Continuous Power" as specified in my Victron Manual the same as "Active Power"?

Is "Continuous Power" as specified in my Victron Manual the same as "Active Power", as in vs reactive power?

If not, how do I calculate the available ACTIVE power of my off-grid inverter?

Victron Easysolar 48/5000/70-100

Thanks!

power factor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Continuous power as in the manual is referring to a 100% duty cycle. The amount of power that the device can output all of the time at a certain ambient temperature.
This also tells you that the maximum current for that 100% duty cycle with a load power factor of 1 is 4000/230=17.4A

Active power means that the load has a power factor of 1. A heater would be an example of an active load, a resistive load.

You can calculate the remaining active power by subtracting the current load from the maximum rated output power.
If you have a 1kW active load on your 4kW inverter, then you have 3kW remaining.

Reactive loads would have to be calculated after the power factor of the load is known or it has an apparent power (VA) rating.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michael-m-b avatar image michael-m-b commented ·

Thanks for the input but most of that was completely over my head. Sorry. I'm really surprised there isn't a simple calculator for this equation online. I've looked but can't find anything that doesn't require me to input a bunch of info I don't know. It's must be more complex than I assume.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ michael-m-b commented ·
You should be able to work work off the active value for the multiplus. If it looks as if you're getting close then move to a more detailed calculation. But for most purposes, this will work. Try and make sure you have some reserve.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic