question

Steve avatar image
Steve asked

Relay for feed into immersion element triggered by mppt

Hi. I m lucky enough to have my batteries on float by midday, and i.m looking at using a 1 KW immersion element to utilise my spare energy. I recently watched a video from victron which suggests that I can use a ve direct tx cable to control a load output relay from my 100/50 smart solar mppt. I need one which will switch my inverter feed into the 240 v element through my Sterling 1500 watt inverter until it pulls the batteries down to the(heaters) disconnect voltage(or thermostat kicks in). This will run in parallel with a flat plate collector heating water directly from the sun. Has anybody done this?,and could you post a link to the appropriate relay/contactor. I believe the ve port puts out 5volts. I have 1500 watts of solar running through 2x victron mppts into 1400Ah of agms in sunny southern Portugal. Tia. Steve.

Hot Water Diversion
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

Do you have. Victron Multiplus or Quatro inverter?

If so then I have just implemented this using a few assistances, and the inbuilt relays. I connected my immersion heater to the AC2 output. Based on if I am connected to shore power, the loading on the inverter (AC side) and the battery SOC I switch the AC2 relay on and off.

To do this you need to use the VE.Configure application under windows. To save getting an MK3 USB adapter, I user VRM to download the configuration from the MultiPlus, change it in the VE.Configure application and then push the configuration back to the MultiPlus.

If this interests you happy to give details.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Steve avatar image Steve commented ·
Hi.

Thanks, unfortunately I don't have a victron inverter or battery monitor on this system, just the mppts.

I was hoping to switch a relay by using the load output via the direct TX cable.

Cheers Steve.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Young avatar image Kevin Young Steve commented ·

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Victron kit but am trying to do something similar (I think!)

I have 48V boat installation with 10kW Quattro, 3kW PV (3 x 150/35 Mppts), 1120Ah Li-Ion bank, plus Genset, all connected via CerboGX & VRM. I'd like to use excess solar (in UK so summer only) to heat water via immersion heater (on AC2-Out ??) when SoC is >99%. I have all latest firmware (using 'Sustain' mode on Quattro) and MK3-USB.

I'm trying to learn how to best setup/configure the logic to acheive this. Currently using one relay in Cerbo to auto-start generator. Any help very welcome!

Tia

Kev

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic