question

alan-falck avatar image
alan-falck asked

ESS back to grid threshold changes from day to day

Hi (newbie here)

I've opened a new post as I believe this is the correct way to address a question with a unique setup, apologies in advance if I'm doing this incorrectly. I've also taken previous advice into consideration but I need some help in the correct setup if I have done this wrong ?

Some days ESS seems to work perfectly using battery overnight (Self Consumption) other nights it goes into sustain mode early in the discharge cycle and uses the grid to slowly recharge over hrs (around 8 hrs).

I understand voltage is an important threshold but not sure where this can be set as I can only find SOC (back to grid) threshold in the ESS settings.

I don't understand how a totally different thresholds (sustain level) chang from day to day.

(I'm using a 5Kva MP IIGX, ESS (min SOC -20%) in 'Non-battery life mode', with 5Kva LifePro4 battery, 15 330w panels.

A: The three overnight discharge examples (good and bad) and early sustain at 80%) are as below, I would appreciate any help.

B: After watching several ESS webinars I understand ESS has several modes 1, 2 & 3 but Im not sure where these are set, IE in the assistant or in remote control?

(sorry I didn't want to start a new post on a similar topic)

Thanks

Alangood-self-consume.png

poor-self-consumption.png

sustain-at-80.png

VE Config Extract from MPII 5KVAGX

AB: GeneralSystem frequency 50Hz

Shore current 50.0 A

Overruled by remote checked

Dynamic current limiter unchecked

External current sensor connected (see manual) unchecked

State of charge when Bulk finished 95.0 %

Battery capacity 100 Ah

Charge efficiency 0.95 TAB: Grid

Country / grid code standard Other: not compliant to any grid code standard

LOM detection AC input 1 Type B (safe)

Accept wide input frequency range (45-65 Hz) checked

AC low switch mains off 180 V

AC low switch mains on 187 V

AC high switch mains on 265 V

AC high switch mains off 270 V

UPS function checkedTAB: Inverter

PowerAssist unchecked

Inverter output voltage 230 V

State Of Charge shut-down 10.0 %

State Of Charge restart 20.0 %

Inverter DC shut-down voltage 43.00 V

Inverter DC restart voltage 45.00 V

Low DC alarm level 44.00 V

Do not restart after short-circuit (VDE 2510-2 safety) unchecked

enable AES uncheckedTAB: Charger

Enable charger checked

Weak AC input unchecked

Stop after excessive bulk unchecked

Lithium batteries checked

Configured for VE.Bus BMS unchecked

Charge curve Fixed

Absorption voltage 56.80 V

Float voltage 54.00 V

Charge current 70 A

Repeated absorption time 1.00 Hr

Repeated absorption interval 7.00 Days

Absorption time 1 HrTAB: Virtual switch

TAB: Usage

Virtual switch usage Do not use VS

TAB: Assistants

TAB: Assistant Configuration

ESS (Energy Storage System) (size:964)

*) System uses LiFePo4 with other type BMS

(This can be either a BMS connected via CAN bus or a BMS system in which the

batteries are protected from high/low cell voltages by external equipment.)

*) The battery capacity of the system is 100 Ah.

*) Sustain voltage 50.00 V.

*) Cut off voltage for a discharge current of:

0.005 C= 44.20 V

0.25 C= 43.55 V

0.7 C= 42.25 V

2 C= 42.00 V

*) Inverting is allowed again when voltage rises 1.20 V above cut-off(0).

*) Relevant VEConfigure settings:

- Battery capacity 100 Ah.

- PowerAssist unchecked

- Lithium batteries checked

- Dynamic current limiter unchecked

- Storage mode unchecked

Additional Settings

1641736570233.png

Additional info: My 5Kva battery is a Hubble AM2 (local battery built on new BYD LifePro4 cells and using Pylontech compatible interface). https://www.hubblelithium.co.za/products.html

The GX sees the battery config via CAN bus,

1641736705171.png

ESS
sustain-at-80.png (20.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Upload your inverter configuration file here (you can download it from VRM).

What battery is that? Does it have a BMS? Can you see cell voltages? The battery voltage might appear OK, while one cell has low voltage, for instance.

0 Likes 0 ·
12 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Alan, in the previous post, I sent you a wish list of info which everyone here will need to help you better. We really need to see how it is all configured. If you can post screenshots of this info it will make it much easier to avoid guessing what the issue may be.

Modes are set in the ESS section of the GX but you need to check the end-to-end config for your battery. The entire recommended setup is in the battery compatibility link I sent to you previously.

Which specific make and model of battery do you have?

Have you checked that on the GX, system setup, that the battery BMS is auto/manually selected as the source?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Just to add, I suspect the issue you are having is that the SOC drift is varying day to day. On days where it is (more) accurate ESS is functioning correctly, on days where it is drifting you are hitting voltage limits. The question is why, and there could be several reasons.

How new is the installation?

Trying to fix the symptom won't address the cause, so it is best to make sure everything is configured correctly.

In that last pic, there is some seriously steep changes in SOC over a narrow time period, it would be good to know more about the batteries - model, number of packs etc, as you could also be undersized.

0 Likes 0 ·
alan-falck avatar image
alan-falck answered ·

Hi thanks, Nick, not sure on the preferred way to share settings but there is an extract from VE Config and some screenshots and additional info. I've explored the previous links you sent thanks.

I've added the additional info to my original post (hope this makes more sense)

A

1 comment
2 |3000

A couple of things, Hubble is not on the tested list so you aren't going to get much support from Victron, you need to get the manufacturer to confirm the preferred settings.

Some observations: thats not a lot of battery for a 5kVA inverter, you will be running it max if you push the inverter, that's not a great balance.

Your ESS sustain voltage (50V) seems too high - hence why you need to chat to the supplier.

From the DOD chart, 50V equates to around 75% or so at 1C, 47V may be a better choice considering your cutoff is 44V. screenshot-2022-01-09-at-165506.png

The battery docs are weak and make no allowances for victron setup.

You will want to make sure DVCC is enabled on the GX, perhaps following a pylon setup since they seem to be emulating this.

You also want to make sure the BMS is selected as the source in the GX setup tab.

Seems to be basic config issues, and only the battery manufacturer should be giving you recommended settings, else you risk ruining your investment and warranty.

The battery is also LIon not LifePo4, so you don't want to get the config wrong.

As mentioned, I would suggest you use VRM to chart out the battery voltage/current at times when it works and doesn't. It's also not impossible their BMS is not measuring SOC accurately, it is not a well known brand unfortunately - every man and his dog is in the lithium battery business these days and they aren't all equal.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Some quick observations:

It appears that you have a 15 cell battery. Can you confirm if this is true or not?

Your charging voltages are way too high in this case.

The cut off voltages are too low.

Minimum SOC at 10% is kind of low. If you frequently need to discharge the battery that much, you need a bigger battery.

Sustain voltage at 50V is high if you have 15 cells (and not 16 cells).

Do not get cell voltage above 3.6V when charging.

Do not get cell voltage under 3.0V when discharging.

Can you see cell voltages?

Do you have a SmartShunt/BMV?

I would have preferred to have the inverter settings vsc file, not a transcription of the settings.

9 comments
2 |3000

@Seb71 as per my post, the battery chemistry is LION, not LIFE, so cell voltages will not be the same.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Li-ion includes LiFePO4.

But yes, if this battery is not LiFeO4, the voltages I wrote about do not apply.

So which type of Li-ion is this battery?

0 Likes 0 ·

If this is the correct manual, they have the following voltages:

hubble-am-2-manual-pdf.png

While the OP's settings are:

Absorption voltage 56.80 V

Float voltage 54.00 V

Cut off voltage for a discharge current of:

0.005 C= 44.20 V

0.25 C= 43.55 V

0.7 C= 42.25 V

2 C= 42.00 V

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ seb71 commented ·
That’s the one
0 Likes 0 ·
Based on that 53.6V "bulk" (absorption) voltage I assumed it is a 15 cell LiFePO4 (and I thought it is LiFePO4).
0 Likes 0 ·
I may have incorrectly presumed a different chemistry based in them using either Li Ion prismatic or lifepo4 terminology on different models.
0 Likes 0 ·
alan-falck avatar image alan-falck commented ·
Hubble confirmed AM-2 battery is 13 cell construction.
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 alan-falck commented ·
In that case the cells are not LiFePO4.
0 Likes 0 ·
First rule of battery club - don't buy rubbish batteries. Cough up for something that is properly tested with a decent install base.

In SA, there are just too many companies all jumping on the battery bandwagon, it just isn't worth the risk of an inferno at your property.

I saw what was left of a house down the road where it didn't end well.

0 Likes 0 ·
alan-falck avatar image
alan-falck answered ·

Thanks, everyone very much for the feedback, most useful. I will contact the battery manufacture again to confirm some of your questions and observations. I have also attached the inverter settings file (hope this is correct).

FYI I have only recently (yesterday) lowered the back to grid SOC from 20% to 10% in the hope I can see a pattern in what triggers the charging mode to start.

FYI I have also had had, 'low battery' and 'high discharge' alarms for some months, I'm wondering if these are related to each other and will look for patterns and feedback to this forum. I've attached 2 examples of these below, alarms seem to be generated when the actual battery voltage is high (above 60% SOC).

1641746192867.png

I do have a BMV but I don't have a spare Victron Direct port on my GX to be able to download logs (is there another way). The BMV is not completely in sync with the voltages and SOC displayed in ESS (about 10% difference) so I have some work to do in this area as well.

FYI The battery manufacture (Hubble) does make their own CAN (RIOT) monitor with individual cell values as an optional extra, I will try and get hold of this device and share the individual cell values ASAP.

Thanks again for the quick and detailed feedback, apologies for not providing sufficient information in my first post.

Regards

Alan

2 comments
2 |3000

So you have no battery monitor apart from what’s in the multi? That would have been useful information to start, it was also something that was requested.

Would also explain a highly unreliable SOC.

You need proper battery management or this will continue to be an issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
The vsc or rvsc settings file can't be attached directly here.

But if you put it into a zip archive, it should work.

0 Likes 0 ·
alan-falck avatar image
alan-falck answered ·

OK so I do have a BMV installed, (this is what I call an additional battery monitor). I will try to pull stats from this BMV device and add them to the post.

VSC is attached in zip format Victron Falckies ESS Settings for community.zip

2 |3000

alan-falck avatar image
alan-falck answered ·

1641798618490.png

Here is another example of how the system will self counsum one day and sustain at around 80% the next. FYI My overnight loads are around 300w so a 5Kva battery should cope with self consumption over 12hrs (3.6kw over 12hrs about 70% discharge) or am i missing somthing here ?

PS I'm located in Cape Town (mid summer) we have massive solar yeilds here.

Does Victron take weather forcasting into consideration in the ESS algorythem, (as today is forcast as cloudy) ?

1641798618490.png (54.4 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Alan, that this is happening is obvious based on the advice given above which includes incorrect settings, and ones which appear too high based on a lack of testing with victron.

This is not a victron issue, you need to speak to your battery people and suppliers.

I have asked a couple of times for screenshots showing the main GX page with the BMS configured, pics of the configured BMS showing details and parameters passed to the GX and for confirmation of what BMS is configured in the GX system setup page. Details of the DVCC setup etc.You continue to not send this.

It was also asked for battery voltage/current draw at the time from VRM BMS widget.

You need to get someone qualified to help you, assisted by your battery supplier, the internet is just not suited for this with such a lack of information.

There is little else we can do here without it.

0 Likes 0 ·

To add.

No weather forecasting.

The exported file seems to either have been done incorrectly or is just a blank, pre-setup config as nothing is configured in it.

Your pics show you generating and using 35kWh per day, your battery at 5kWh is too small for anything other than a buffer as can be seen by the steep charge/discharge curves by day.

It would not be surprising for the SOC to be inaccurate in this case, if the BMS setup is incorrect. Hence all the additional questions.

0 Likes 0 ·
tnt369 avatar image tnt369 commented ·

Is there in ESS parameters "scheduled charging" activated? I have similar effects when this is active.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Well, from the settings file you attached, I see that you have lots of things wrong.

First, you are not actually using ESS.

As a side-note, ESS requires a country code (you have no country code set). Be careful to select the correct one, because once you set it the first time, you will need a password to change it again. You can get that password from your Victron distributor.

Enable battery monitor from General tab should be checked.

Voltages are wrong, as I already wrote.

2 comments
2 |3000

From a previous post, it seems as some things are set, I suspect he didn't export the data correctly.

It is clear there are issues and the OP does not have the background or experience with Victron to resolve this, or to work with a community of experienced users and installers.

The best solution is to get a trained and experienced installer onsite to sort out the installation, which, on face value, seems to be a bit of a mess.

0 Likes 0 ·
alan-falck avatar image alan-falck commented ·

1641983769891.png

I'm assuming the CAN bus does the batter monitoring to the Multi ?

0 Likes 0 ·
1641983769891.png (21.7 KiB)
alan-falck avatar image
alan-falck answered ·

OK, clearly it takes some time to get familiar with all the vendor's terminology (I have confessed to being a newbie). I now have a better idea of what screenshots you are talking about and where I may be going wrong (thanks). I've tried to export the setting but again it's a learning curve.

I have contacted the Hubble battery manufacture and I'll be installing a CloudLink (RIOT) device that should offer more granular data in the CAN communication including information on the (13 cell) individual values.

I'm fully aware the Hubble battery is not on the Victron hardware compatibility list ( we don't always have the luxury of competitive approved local supply). I'll report back with this and other information I've clearly omitted, so sorry I've wasted anyone's time.

PS I know I'm pushing the battery hard but this is how one learns and why I moved from AGM to New Li-ion Prismatic Cells so I could use more of the capacity overnight (within reason). I do have a similar installation working perfectly (with higher overnight loads) hence approaching this community for some guidance, more screenshots to follow.

A

2 comments
2 |3000

I moved from AGM to LifePro4

It's LiFePO4.

The name comes from the chemical elements: Lithium (Li), Iron (Fe), Phosphorus (P), Oxygen (O).

Lithium - Iron - Phosphate (PO₄)

But did the manufacturer confirm it is LiFePO4?

Now you say that this battery has 13 cells.

For a 48V nominal voltage, there should be 16 - preferable - or 15 LiFePO4 cells.

So either this number of cells is wrong, or the battery is not made with LiFePO4 cells.

0 Likes 0 ·
alan-falck avatar image alan-falck seb71 commented ·

Sorry, I'm dyslexic (as you probably gathered :) the cells are indeed LifPro4 and Hubble technical confirm 13 cells.

The spec sheet is as below.

1641985677451.png

I did wonder why so many of my settings appeared wrong especially after consulting a professional installer during commissioning. I went back and reloaded my settings and indeed the ones I zipped appeared wrong. I've downloaded and zipped the current settings (and chacked in v config) as attached, my apologies.

Falckies MPII5kva 0281a3a51128_inst_ttyS3_Interfaces_Mk2_Tunnel (13).zip

0 Likes 0 ·
alan-falck avatar image
alan-falck answered ·

That should read Li-ion Prismatic Cells (couldn't get to the editor fast enough)

2 |3000

alan-falck avatar image
alan-falck answered ·

I fully understand no manufacture can support unapproved products (not at least on a hardware compatibility list). I'm now confident my issue lies with the battery and its native Can Bus communication (simple emulation). I'll install the Cloud Connect product measure against physical reading and myBMV and see if this resolves the inconsistency and report back, thanks for all the guidance thus far.

2 |3000

alan-falck avatar image
alan-falck answered ·

Hi Everyone here is an update on my progress. Hubble Lythuim has supplied me with a RIOT Cloudlink device, ( this interfaces with the battery via RS232 and now delivers a granular CAN dataset to the Multi) https://www.hubblelithium.co.za/hubble-cloudlink.html. This includes data down to a cell level and supports - Victron extended protocol . (Hubble also have their own batt management portal). I've had the Hubble engineer confirm my 13 x Li-ion Prismatic Cell battery is in good health and perfectly balanced.

I'm still seeing my system use grid power overnight despite being plenty of SOC in the battery (seems to hit a sustain voltage level and either maintain this level or fully recharge the battery).

1642409801953.png

FYI an almost Identical spec system of mine (5Kva Multi GX ESS) but with a larger 15Kva Freedom Lite LifePo4 battery performs flawlessly every day over months.

1642409907072.png1642410036058.png

I've uploaded my latest Victron setting zip file (above) in the hope someone can give me some guidance on what to look at next to resolve this issue.

1642409801953.png (31.3 KiB)
1642409907072.png (36.3 KiB)
1642410036058.png (21.0 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Have the incorrect settings been corrected yet and has the manufacturer given you the appropriate settings that the victron needs?

Freedom will work, it is tested, and they have a full setup for victron.

These new okes don't.

THEY need to give you a proper config for your environment, we simply cannot guess it. A CAN BMS connection is only a start, an improperly setup environment still will not work.

This really has been repeated ad nauseam on this issue.

If hubble sold it to you, they need to make it work.

Alternatively, return the battery and replace it with a tested model such as freedom, bluenova, pylon, BSL etc

0 Likes 0 ·
alan-falck avatar image alan-falck nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Hi here is some progress feedback (I've gone back and checked everything again advised thus far)

Have the incorrect settings been corrected yet and has the manufacturer given you the appropriate settings that the victron needs?

Yes on the Multi & MPT & ESS

Freedom will work, it is tested, and they have a full setup for victron.

These new okes don't.

THEY need to give you a proper config for your environment, we simply cannot guess it. A CAN BMS connection is only a start, an improperly setup environment still will not work.

Hubble have given me advice, confirmed Specs/settings and supplied me with an enhanced CAN interface with extended Victron Protocols,

This really has been repeated ad nauseam on this issue.

Well sorry , isnt this how we all learn ?

If hubble sold it to you, they need to make it work.

We trying, they have offered a replacement

Alternatively, return the battery and replace it with a tested model such as freedom, bluenova, pylon, BSL etc

Yes, last resort but I have 3 other Hubble sites so I'm keen to get to the bottom of this.

The results from the independent Hubble Portal do not correlate with the info I'm getting from Victron.

IE: a low battery alarm of 42.1 volts is reported in Victron, but the BMS shows a battery SOC at 80% and 52volts at the same time.

The two samples below are more in sync with each other but I cant understand how 50.56 volts is seen as an alarm threshold ?

1642691008693.png

1642691221328.png

Clearly, I have something very wrong in my settings somewhere. Hubble suggested removing the CAN cable running the battery down flat (BMS cut out)and recharging.

FYI I have also set the ESS to Optimised (without battery life) as this seems to be advice offerd in simial posts and videos ?

A

0 Likes 0 ·
1642691008693.png (35.4 KiB)
1642691221328.png (166.9 KiB)
alan-falck avatar image
alan-falck answered ·

Hi here is the end solution.

I was able to borrow a 5Kva BSL (Victron Approved) battery, the problem went away immediately, with the same ESS settings. I returned the Hubble battery to the manufacturer, they detected a faulty cell (despite their remote diagnostics saying all was well). The system works perfectly now.

A

2 |3000