question

miami337 avatar image
miami337 asked

Voltage Drop at MPPT 100/50

When I connect my PV (-) and (+) to my MPPT 100/50, my voltage immediately drops from 41V to 29V. This of course keeps the voltage too low for my 28V system to charge, so the charger stays "off".

I've replaced all MC4 connections between the panels and the MPPT just to be safe, yet the exact same voltage drop happens right when I connect to wires to the MPPT controller.

Firmware is updated.

Any thoughts on a potential solution?

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@miami337

It is normal for panel voltage to drop from VOC under load.

You basically need at least one more panel to work a higher string voltage thus taking advantage of the mppt.

The one panel setup works better with a pwm controller.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

miami337 avatar image miami337 commented ·
Thanks @Alexandra - I actually have two panels in series to get the voltage up to the 41v, I didn't realize the voltage drop would be so significant. I'll be adding two more panels shortly to the circuit so my voltage should be around 80 at that point. Sounds like that may solve my issue. Thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 miami337 commented ·

The voltage drop is normal under load, but yours seems slightly higher than what I would expect.

What is the rated voltage for maximum power for your panels?

How long are the wires from the PV panels to the MPPT and what size (cross-section area) are they?
-------

If you double the number of panels in series:

82V is probably fine, but if your string Voc gets too close to 100V, you have to check the maximum voltage for the lowest temperature you can have there.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ seb71 commented ·
@miami337

I am with Seb the drop seems large for two panels. But then they are small panels if their VOC is around 20Vdc. More information is needed there.

Either there is something wrong or you have poor weather conditions. We comissioned some yesterday in the cloudy weather and we were getting 170VOC when the panels spec suggest we should see 212VOC in the string. But that is just the light conditions.

And run them through the mppt calculator. It will then show a graph on the page to give you an idea where the mppt will try and run when the panels are in the ideal circumstances. And if you will be over voltage in low temps if you add more panels.

0 Likes 0 ·
info-6 avatar image info-6 seb71 commented ·
In my opinion it's not a surprise that voltage drops so significantly. First of all, the intensity of sun is a factor how stable the voltage is and second factor is the quality of panels.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ info-6 commented ·
That is true. I was assuming the OP set it up in full sun to test. And yes poor quality panels can also be an issue under load.
0 Likes 0 ·