question

stevef avatar image
stevef asked

Is ESS required for load shedding installation?

I have a simple installation whose sole purpose is to provide backup power in the event of grid failure (loadshedding in South Africa). It consists of a Quattro, Freedom Won Lite battery, Cerbo GX and a 3500KvA generator (installed on AC input 1 of Quattro). All loads are essential loads, so nothing connected to AC output 2 of Quattro. When grid fails the idea is for batteries to carry load until batteries are at 30% SOC and then manually start generator until batteries back to 100% SOC or grid returns. Since it is a small generator am relying on Power Assist in the event that there are load spikes when generator is in use. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using ESS in this installation, especially since PowerAssist may be required at times?

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@SteveF

With ess it dynamically controls the input current limit based on if solar is covering loads. It will also allow you to control depth of discharge as you want to. You also need to have a grid code for SA installed (or use other if you are not compliant like we are here in Zim). It really is at its best with a well sized solar array, so if you dont have that then there is no point to ess.

I assume you are wanting to remain connected rather use an ignore ac in vritual switch instead?

You can disable virtual switch and just use the input current control otherwise but you will have to be the 'dynamic control'. That works too. And you dont need a grid code just have it on no dc feedback.

I personally like the ess ability. With the quatrro it is easy to set up and not worry about grid codes and generators like you do on a multi. The only thing I do see in SA there is one type of grid meter that is a bit sensitive to backfeed which sometimes happens in ess even with grid feed off with back emf and other funny things in the system.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.