question

fwalti avatar image
fwalti asked

0% Charged yet 13+Volts. Which is right?

Why does my Victron Connect App show that I am 0% charged, yet I'm also showing 13.2Vs -- which is close to being full. Which one is right? Thank you for any help.

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

What equipment are you connecting to to get these readings? What sort of battery? Are these readings whilst charging or not?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fwalti avatar image
fwalti answered ·

It's an RV installation with 2 Battle Born 100 batteries. I'm not sitting next to it now, but could. This is not the first time this has happened.

2 |3000

fwalti avatar image
fwalti answered ·

BTW, thank you very much for trying to answer this question. fred

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

When you say "Victron Connect" is saying 0%, what device is Victron Connect connected to? smartshunt? BMV?

If you are charging, and your battery is at 13.2V (3.3V/cell), this may be a low stage of charge.

2 |3000

fwalti avatar image
fwalti answered ·

Victron Connect. Maybe my fundamental assumption is wrong. I understood that a battery with anything over 12 was fully charged. Maybe that's wrong?

2 |3000

fwalti avatar image
fwalti answered ·

I believe its BMV, but could check when I"m at the RV. Right now, its sitting in storage with all electricity turned off (except things like electric device clocks ) and is being kept charged by the solar panels. If the 0% is right, then something is drawing the batteries down despite the solar panels. I think : )

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

>12V is not the criteria.

Batteries require specific charging parameters to attain full charge. A Battleborn typically needs to be charged to 14.2-14.4V and held there briefly. If unloaded, it will settle to about 13.8V resting voltage. This can vary.

I can't say the BMV should be reporting 0%, but the battleborns at 13.2V suggests there may be more loads than you anticipate, or you may not be getting the expected charge.

Or both.

2 |3000

fwalti avatar image
fwalti answered ·

Thanks very much. I just talked to the Victron installer and he said I need to do a syncronize on the Victron Ap.

Once again, thank you for your time and help.

fred

2 |3000

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Hopefully the installer was more specific and that he indicated you should sync it after you know you've charged it to full.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The installer is wrong/avoiding the issue.

Victron kit, properly configured, synchronises automatically when 100% SOC is reached. It then calculates SOC depending on load measured.

2 |3000