question

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem asked

Victron ESS in California

Does anyone know if a Victron inverter/charger can be used in an ESS and tied to Pacific Gas and Electric grid in California?

I'm looking at Victron as an alternative to Tesla and other "battery" systems. The goal is to shift grid usage from the peak demand period (currently 2 - 9 PM for PGE). I will add solar to the system if I can get enough sun on my roof after removing trees.

I've searched for Victron dealers/installers and there are few on the west coast that deal with home energy storage systems.

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi Kevin, unfortunately no, that cannot be legally done at this time in either CA or HI.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thanks Justin.

I'm assuming the problem is lack of the proper safety disconnect mechanism, and that there are no add-ons that make it legal. Too bad. Victron has some advantages over other "battery" systems like proper generator integration.

Will the next round of inverters from Victron provide a solution or is it too early to tell?

0 Likes 0 ·