question

tozz avatar image
tozz asked

[Feature request] Limit active SoC Limit

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask for new/improved features.. But here I go.

Im using Victron ESS with BatteryLife. In this weather there can be a week or two with clouds and almost no PV output, and then suddenly there's a day with lots of sunshine where I generate up to 20 kWh day.

However, due to the previous bad weather.. BatteryLife has increased the active soc limit to a high number, 85% in my situation currently.

I would like to request a additional feature ('partial BatteryLife') that limits the active SoC Limit 50% for a couple of reasons:

- AFAIK 50% SoC is ideal for Li-Ion batteries or atleast is better than running at 90-100% SoC for days or maybe even weeks.

- It allows for increased self-consumption by having 50% of the battery capacity available instead of sometimes just 5% if Active SoC limit is 95%

I don't see any disadvantages to having the Active SoC Limited to 50%

ESSbatterylife
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Just change modes to "without batterylife" and set a suitable minimum SOC as needed.

In the background the "active" limit will increase if PV is suitable.

If the active limit does not work well for you, it is pointless changing it, you may as well just avoid the feature.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

As far as I know some battery manufacture request to use the "optimized batterylife mode" for warranty.
A lithium battery needs to be charged to 100% regularly to balance the cells.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I guess it depends how they define regular.

Lithium batteries are used for many reasons, one is so they can be discharged down low to cater for poor weather and/or higher loads.

Batterylife can be too slow to compensate, in sunny climates it is thoroughly pointless. Within a day or 3 it sorts itself out, if the BMS can't cater for this to the extent it affects warranty then I would suggest buying from a different manufacturer.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic