question

dcliff9 avatar image
dcliff9 asked

Smartsolar 100/50 won’t turn on without PV.

Got a new 100/50 mppt. The manual says the unit should turn on when connected to battery and/or pv. I have it connected to 12v lifepo and it won’t turn on. If I connect my solar panel, it turns on. I have checked at the terminals and I am getting voltage with correct polarity at the mppt. Any ideas?

pn: scc110050210

MPPT SmartSolar
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Might seem dumb but what state of charge is the battery? My Easysolar has one of these MPPTs inside and even with everything off, as long as the battery is connected, it's on.

How are you deciding if it's on or off? With nothing but battery, mine flashes the blue bulk light.

0 Likes 0 ·
dcliff9 avatar image dcliff9 kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
When connected to only the battery, there is no indication of any of the lights flashing or otherwise and the device Bluetooth is off. If I connect PV panels, my bulk light comes on and I can connect via Bluetooth.
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

When the battery is connected to the MPPT and no PV input, the bulk light should flash intermittently, and data should be available. Device state will be reported as OFF. The unit will switch to bulk mode as soon as the PV voltage is >5V above the battery voltage.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dcliff9 avatar image dcliff9 commented ·

Thank you. Yes. That should be how it works. However, when I’m connected to only the battery, there is no indication of any of the lights flashing or otherwise and the device Bluetooth is off. If I connect PV panels, my bulk light comes on and I can connect via Bluetooth. From my understanding, some original gen1 models did this, but this is a newer model (gen2 hardware) and according to everything I’ve read, I should be getting a flashing light and the ability to connect via Bluetooth.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Sounds like a faulty unit. Suggest you contact the dealer for a replacement.

1 comment
2 |3000

dcliff9 avatar image dcliff9 commented ·
Thank you. I agree. Thanks for giving this a read.
0 Likes 0 ·
smithypaul avatar image
smithypaul answered ·

Did you get a resolution on this one? I have same problem with an MPPT 100/30. Keen to know if I've done something wrong or its just faulty.

2 |3000

Galin Radoslavov avatar image
Galin Radoslavov answered ·

May be you connect fist time with wrong polarity and destroy the fuse inside.

2 |3000