question

dazo1984 avatar image
dazo1984 asked

hi I have a victron multiplus and a 150/85 smart solar, priority charging

hi I have a victron multiplus and a 150/85 smart solar, priority charging, its on canal boat in the uk, its cnnected to a shoreline. but i would like to set it so if its sunny it will use the solar as much as i can to save on my electricity bill. could anyone help :-)

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

If you are familiar with using a virtual switch in VEConfig, you can use a function called “AC Ignore” to have your Multiplus ignore the available AC from shore line or generator unless certain conditions exist.

For example, you can ignore available AC for charging, thereby forcing the system to run on solar only, unless your batteries reach a certain voltage or state of charge. In this way, your system would prioritize solar, but use shore power when PV power was insufficient to keep your batteries charged to your specified level. Once your “off” parameter was met, it would return to AC Ignore until the “on” parameter next exists.

You can read up on it here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/storage/attachments/3299-virtual-switch-ignore-ac-lesson.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @dazo1984

If you set the charge target(s) in the Multi just a little lower than the mppt, then the mppt will take priority once the target is reached. You may need to make allowance for Temp Compensation, especially if the mppt doesn't have access to external Temp readings.

But there may be a lot more options you could consider, like not charging at all for a set period before sun is expected, so as to give the solar something to charge. And if the Multi charger is always-on, then maybe it just needs to be set for a low Storage target.

2 |3000