question

gurnga-energy avatar image
gurnga-energy asked

Multiplus / Quattro - Extended Ramp Rate Smoothing Requirements

Hello Victron people,

Our local energy provider in the North West of Australia has very specific extended ramp rate smoothing requirement that must be met by any grid connected ESS system.

I am designing a three phase Victron ESS system using 5KVA Multiplus-II inverter/chargers coupled with the GX system, which will act as the 'smoothing device'. A GX device will also connect to the energy providers via Modbus-TCP.

The content that I have read so far about the capabilities of ESS mode 2 and 3 operation has left me wishing to know more.....

Below is a small excerpt of the requirements for connection to network. Would anyone be able to tell me whether the required ramp up/down rates can be set using the GX connection and any other capabilities that the system may have in relation to this.

4.3.4 Renewable Energy Smoothing Requirements

Renewable energy smoothing is required for low voltage EG connections in non-standard network areas.

Controlling the ramp rate of the Inverter output is a requirement of the Renewable Energy Smoothing type of Generation Control. Renewable Energy Smoothing requires the Proponent to install an Energy Smoothing Device that provides for a gradual ramp-up or ramp-down over a period of time if the Renewable Source Electricity output changes too suddenly (ramp down is shown in Figure 1). This allows enough time for Horizon Power and Independent Power Producers to ramp up their generation assets to cover for a loss in Customer generation. The method for achieving the required ramp rate is at the discretion of the proponent.

4.3.5 Extended Ramp Rate Smoothing Requirements

Extended Ramp Rate Smoothing is similar to the renewable energy smoothing described in Section 4.3.4. However, the nominal ramp down and ramp up time for extended ramp rate smoothing are greater than those specified in Section 4.3.4.

All Extended Ramp Rate Systems shall have:

a nominal ramp down time Tn of 7,200 seconds (2 hours).

a nominal ramp up time Tn of 3,600 seconds (1 hour).

The Energy Control subsystem shall:

• Have renewable energy smoothing subsystem with Extended Ramp Rates;

• Have feed-in management; and

• Ensure the renewable energy output seen by the Grid is free from fluctuations.

Thank you and kind regards,

Jack

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
john2019 avatar image
john2019 answered ·

Hi, gurnga-energy

I have the same problem as yours? Have you find the solution. And I also struggle with Energy storage calculation for smoother. For example , we will install 1MW solar farm and need to know the battery and inverter size for the horizon power requirements. Thanks

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.