question

mihair avatar image
mihair asked

ESS not charging from grid coupled PV when in #1 and #2 state

Hi Victron team,

When ESS is in #1 and #2 state, the only charge come from MPPT and not from both MPPT & PV inverter, surplus solar power is exported instead of charging the batter.

Please see the following pictures. Is this normal or is a bug? CCGX ver is 2.20

Thanks,

mihai

ESS
essbug2.jpg (1.4 MiB)
essbug1.jpg (41.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

What type of Mulitgrid or Mulitplus do you have? As i have a Mulitplus 2 which the odd times displays the ESS #1 and #2.

My mulitplus 2 doesnt display AC loads like yours does only on the critical loads so were do you have the extra CT fitted, as the Mulitplus 2 has a internal CT to measure the load current etc.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mihair avatar image mihair commented ·

My setup is:

VenusOS v2.20 on Raspberry PI

EM111 grid meter

SolarMax 6000S PV inverter, grid parallel connected

EM111 used as PV energy meter

Multiplus 48/5000/70-100, grid parallel connected

BlueSolar 150/35

20Kw LiFe PO4 Sinopoly + CAN Bus REC-BMS

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi Mihair

Thanks for the update, so you have to run 2x EM111 to make the system work to read the AC loads and Critical loads.

And the Canbus works OK using a a Canberry HAT device? as i have installed one but have no way of testing it unless i have a Canbus device connected.

I can see the CanBus profile under services all OK, so that means it will work OK.

My System is is RPi Venus ver 2.30-8

ET112 PV Inverter meter

Mulitplus 2

AGM Battery bank ( hoping to change to a Lithium bank soon, as i confirmed the can bus works OK)

Note : i have noticed the power reading are not very accurate when using the internal current shunt is used. it can be about 50watts out.
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi Mihair

Notes about the # codes

• #1: SOC is low

• #2: BatteryLife is active

• It is showing that the battery is charging OK as it is a positive number not negative number

• What direction are the arrows going? some will flowing into the battery and the rest going to the grid, if not are the CT in the correct direction of current flow?
  • Not sure what the interaction between the PV and MPPT have on each other? some might have a priority. need to ask or reasearch there manuals on the ESS system

3.4 Features for ESS

• Fix keep batteries charged.

• Change the solar offset from a variable 2V to a fixed 0.4V. These values are for 48V systems, divide by 4 for 12V. This fixes over voltage warnings and shut-downs as seen on several systems with CAN-bus BMSes. Note that this solar offset is only used by the system when ESS-mode is set to Optimized in combination with the Feed-in excess solar charger power-setting enabled, or when ESS-mode is set to Keep batteries charged.

• Add Auto-recharge feature for the ESS Modes Optimized and Optimized (with BatteryLife). The system will automatically recharge the battery (from the grid) when the SOC drops 5% or more below the value of ‘Minimum SOC’ in the ESS menu. Recharge stops when it reaches the Minimum SOC.

• ESS improved state display: In addition to the charger states (Bulk/Absorption/Float), additional Discharging and Sustain modes were added. In addition it also shows reasons for the state it is in:

• #1: SOC is low

• #2: BatteryLife is active

• #3: BMS disabled charging

• #4: BMS disabled discharge

• #5: Slow Charge in progress (part of BatteryLife, see above)

• #6: User configured a charge limit of zero.

• #7: User configured a discharge limit of zero.

2 |3000

mihair avatar image
mihair answered ·

As a side note, this is what you have to do in order to make can interface work on VenusOS RPI

# echo "can0" > /etc/venus/canbus_ports

# ln -s /opt/victronenergy/can-bus-bms/service /service/can-bus-bms.can0

# ln -s /opt/victronenergy/dbus-motordrive/service /service/dbus-motordrive.can0

# ln -s /opt/victronenergy/dbus-valence/service /service/dbus-valence.can0

# ln -s /opt/victronenergy/vecan-dbus/service /service/vecan-dbus.can0

# ln -s /opt/victronenergy/mqtt-n2k/service /service/mqtt-n2k.can0

For all the above replace DEV with can0 in run and run/log files

ex: vi /opt/victronenergy/can-bus-bms/service/run

2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

When you use this command what is the response. this a test responce when nothing is hooked to the port, loop back?

root@raspberrypi2:~#echo "can0" > /etc/venus/canbus_ports

as it comes back with root@raspberrypi2:~#

I have done all the other In-s switch commands. and changed the DEV to can0

1 comment
2 |3000

The command writes can0 in file /etc/venus/canbus_ports

Reboot CCGX and enjoy can bus connectivity :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Thanks for that, i am new to the RPi and learning lots how to configure them etc.

I did notice that when i was applying the command it would change that file when i viewed it in Bitvise client to check.

So can you use Can dump and Can send to check the port ?

1 comment
2 |3000

What can interface are you using?

This is what i use http://www.industrialberry.com/canberry-v-2-1-isolated/

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

This is what i have, it still uses the Microchip Can bus MCP2551 and MCP2515 chips

so it should be still compatible.

https://copperhilltech.com/pican2-can-interface-for-raspberry-pi-2-3-with-smps/

2 |3000

masi avatar image
masi answered ·

Hi Mihai, did you fix it? Mine has same behavior, it is recharging with low power the battery even the system has a lot of power. This happen when "Fronius zero feed in " is ON.

2 |3000