question

judodesign avatar image
judodesign asked

Connect to house power

I have a 400w panel on our camper connected to a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 and a 24v battery bank. The van is sitting parked most of the time and I’m wondering what I would need to do to connect it to the house to supliment the 240v house power? Like these plug and play kits do with a micro inverter:

https://robinsun.com/products/robinsun-performance-basic

Does Victron offer any product like this that will fit with my mppt?

Thanks

MPPT SmartSolar
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Duivert NL avatar image Duivert NL commented ·
if you want 240v, use your mppt and supliment the house, you will need an mulitplus 2 (GX)
0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Judodesign

No micro inverters from Victron available.

And also no, you cant use a micro inverter with an mppt on the same string of panels. It is either or.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

You could add a 2-way switch to the PV module cable, so you can switch between EITHER the Victron MPPT connected to the PV module OR a micro inverter connected.

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

For 400W (before conversion overheads, losses etc, it would take a lifetime to pay off the additional gear. Juice isn't worth the squeeze.

1 comment
2 |3000

jetlag avatar image jetlag commented ·
Well, you can buy e.g. a used hoymiles HM-400 for less then 60€, a switch can be done for few € as well, so I think it is not that expensive... Of course, the return time will take some years, but still ok in my mind.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You don't say what else is installed. But cheapest option would be a 24V charger. For example the smart IP43 range

https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/phoenix-smart-ip43-charger

2 |3000

judodesign avatar image
judodesign answered ·

Thanks for the responses. Very useful.

I roughly calculate (based on the performance of my 6.6kwh home pv system did last year) that a 400w panel should produce enough power to save me €130 per year of peak rate grid power (here in Ireland).

The hoymiles HM-400 is what I was looking for, but it gets quite pricey if you add on wifi monitoring. So this VEVOR Solar Grid Tie Micro Inverter 600W model (with it’s own app) looks more suitable:

https://m-eur.vevor.com/grid-tie-solar-inverter-c_10762/vevor-solar-grid-tie-micro-inverter-solar-micro-inverter-600w-waterproof-ip67-p_010205565976

I guess I can just unplug the panel on the van roof and plug in the vevor to the mc4 connectors there. Just have to remember to disconnect when I need to drive off in the van!

2 |3000

jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

Sounds good. But please check if this Microinverter has all required certificats you need in your country. I don't know what is needed in Ireland, but this product you mentioned, looks like one of these chinese products without any reliable quality.

2 |3000