question

Thomas Manthey avatar image
Thomas Manthey asked

Where can I find a downgrade procedure and tool for an MPPT solar controller?

After an update from V3.13 to V3.15, my MPPT 250/70 Ve.Can only provides power for a short time and then no more.

bildschirmfoto-vom-2024-05-21-19-28-11.png

bildschirmfoto-vom-2024-05-21-19-28-41.png

I only did the update to analyze a power limitation. I have now found the cause of this. The controllers get too warm (54°C) at 20°C in the basement without a fan. I would now like to undo the update, as I have not had any problems with this version so far and the other 6 MPPT controllers are also running with version 3.13. I have already downloaded the software from Victron. However, it doesn't seem to be so easy with Victron Connect. When I click on Manual update, I only get the message that the latest version is already installed.Which tool should I use for such a "downgrade" and where can I find a brief description of this procedure?

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Thomas Manthey answered ·

In the meantime I have played around with the Victron tools and found the solution myself. The software downgrade only works with Victron Connect if there is no internet connection when starting Victron Connect. Then the file dialog for selecting the firmware also appears when clicking on "manual update". You have to figure that out first ;-)
The firmware ran immediately and without any problems (as before), even without a voltage reset on the battery side.
The only thing is the solar side, which I only switched on again after the downgrade. I had connected the cluster to another controller anyway because of the failure.

bildschirmfoto-vom-2024-05-22-16-32-23.png

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

I can't help you with your specific question.

Are you certain there are no wiring issues, such as use of ferrules rather than fine strand wire, or loose terminals?

My 250/100 sits in an uninsulated/unvented shipping container and can see ambient temps up to 40°C without a fan, and it's never throttled its output, though I'm only running 3kW on it - about 50% of what it can handle.

2 |3000

The system has been running for a year while I finished building it. I have 7 clusters of 5 cells each on the north-east side of the roof. Based on the maximum individual outputs, I would have expected more than 10kW with the massive solar radiation over the last few days.

bildschirmfoto-vom-2024-05-22-07-23-50.png

Two days ago there was still a layer of cloud in the morning which shielded the radiation. When the sun was already much higher, the cloud layer disappeared and the controllers produced the expected output for about 10 minutes.

bildschirmfoto-vom-2024-05-22-07-21-33.png

Now I have provisionally attached PC fans with adhesive tape and lo and behold:
bildschirmfoto-vom-2024-05-22-07-31-39.png

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

If you manually download the firmware file from professional.victronenergy.com.

Then on the VRM firmware update page click on the very right of the device on the "upload file" option, this should move it the version you have uploaded.

VC app also has a choose file option, providing you have placed the file on your device.

2 |3000

I had already tried Victron Connect, but when I try a manual update to the downloaded software, I always get the message "The latest version is already installed".

2 |3000