question

lee-a avatar image
lee-a asked

On which pins does the jumper go onto on my 100/20 MPPT?

Hi guys,

I have the 100/20 MPPT and accidentally pulled the jumper pin out and need to know which pins the jumper needs to go back on like it was when I first bought it. The PDF manual is pretty much useless so please don't refer me to it.

There are four pins with only three options for the jumper to go on. I think it goes on the middle two of the pins (according to the pics on the amazon page from where I bought it from) but need to know for sure. I was in the process of getting a solar system setup for my van so this unit hasn't even been used yet.

I don't understand the purpose of the jumper pin but if anyone wants to give me the layman's terms simplified version then by all means, let me know. It might be helpful to know. That's optional of course, my main goal is just to get the jumper back on in the right place.

On a side question, does anyone know how to make a free international call using the internet? I found the number to call Victron but they're in the Netherlands and I'm in the USA.

Thanks a bunch!

PS: I tried and tried but this website will not allow me to upload a picture to my post. I kept getting a "denied" error message whatever that's about. I wanted to upload a pic of my MPPT and the jumper I was referring to is all.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

It's explained in the manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Manual_SmartSolar_MPPT_75-10_up_to_100-20/en/configuration-and-settings.html#UUID-0e24edd3-2ffe-6a04-c067-7e6c5475ad4f

It changes the behavior of the load output.

It's spam protection, new users aren't allowed to upload attachments.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lee-a avatar image lee-a commented ·

Thank you for your response. I still need to know which pins the jumper was on when I bought it. The manual fails to say which pins the jumper was on when the controller came from the factory.

Do you know which pins the jumper were on when units like mine get shipped out? If so then could you please tell me which pins the jumper were on when it came from the factory?

Do not assume that I understand anything in that manual. I said it was useless for a good reason. Whoever wrote that manual did not write it in layman's terms. It was written in technical terms only for experienced people who already understand the "language" and know about these technical solar things.

Thank you,

Lee

PS: I'm going to try to upload a screenshot to see if it actually goes through this time since I am no longer a "new user" now.

Update: Nope! This site still gives me that dumb "denied" response when I try to upload one. It makes no sense why I cannot upload anything when it clearly gives me the option to do that. The webmaster needs to fix that nonsense. I am not a spammer.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

I will -as respectfully as possible- say a couple of things:

1. Reading and understanding the user and installation manual is non-optional. Understood that you're new to the world of electricity, but that's all the more reason to take your time, read the manuals, gather the understanding that's required to safely do things. Remember kids, electricity can kill you. Take the time to understand it and treat it with respect or alternatively, hire someone to do it for you - there is no middle ground here.

2. The jumper, as you can see by reading the specific section of the user manual that @Matthias Lange - DE thoughtfully linked you to, which fully and completely explains what it is and what it's there for, is largely unnecessary. The only thing it does is control the load-out behavior, which frankly you probably won't be using in any case, and which behavior can more easily be configured in the app anyway, in which case it should be removed to begin with.

3. The default jumper location is between the two middle pins.

2 comments
2 |3000

lee-a avatar image lee-a commented ·

@Justin Cook

Sure, he thoughtfully linked the manual for me for which I humbly thanked him for that but I already had the manual and looked it over. I made it clear to not refer me to the manual for good reason. It does NOT (as you put it) "fully and completely" explain anything to anyone who is new to all this solar stuff. It is as I said, useless. Why do you think I came to this forum to ask where the jumper went?

Victron "manuals" are only reference material for experts. You and every other expert needs to comprehend that so you can handle newbies better in the future.

Maybe ten years down the road I'll understand just what the bleep a "Conventional algorithm" and a "BatteryLife algorithm" is all about but until then, I am not going to "go to school" or search the internet just to find out what that chart in the manual was trying to say.

Whoever created that manual has completely forgotten what it was like to be a newbie just like you've completely forgotten yourself, or else you might not have been so inappropriately smug and condescending towards me.

I have a background in electronics technology. I do residential and commercial electrical. I'm a jack of all trades type. I'm also a creative ingenious inventor type and have an insane amount of electro-mechanical gadgetry that I love tinkering with. I'll bet I've been working with electricity since before you were even born so I'm more than aware of how it can kill you.

I however don't know much about the solar world other than learning how to connect the dots to make my new system work in my van which is all that's needed. I couldn't care less about the technical jargon if I don't need to learn it.

You could have just told me that the jumper went on the two middle pins and left out all that extra talk. I would have said thank you and closed this thread.

So to now officially close this thread myself, I sincerely thank you for giving me the simple answer to my simple question.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ lee-a commented ·

Considering that the BatteryLife Algorithm (as an example chosen randomly from your response) is also explained in the manual in plain, easy-to-understand terms, I certainly hope it doesn't take you ten years of study to understand it, but each needs to learn at their own speed I suppose.

Good luck!

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Victron support is through your dealer. Failing that we volunteers help where we can.

The MPPT has a load output as well as a battery output. The load output is used when you want to prevent the loads from over discharging the battery. E.g. you have a light connected direct to the battery. This will run until the battery dies. If you connect to the load output instead, the MPPT will shut of the load output when the battery voltage drops. The jumper can be used to set the cut off voltage. Suggest you connect the 2 and 3 pins for maximum protection.

If you do decide to use the load output, make sure you stay within its limits.

2 |3000