question

joe-greaves avatar image
joe-greaves asked

Smart Solar 100/50 voltage & wattage fluctuations

2Dscreenshot-2023-10-09-11-27-39-576-comvictronenerg.jpgscreenshot-2023-10-09-13-18-52-414-comvictronenerg.jpgHello folks,

I have a query about what is probably not a fault, but is a puzzle with my narrow boat's 100/50 Smart solar MPPT. It's basically working fine as far as I know, but has one unusual trait. Sorry for the rather long post.

My system is four Victron 215w 24v panels in parallel, connected through a Kraus & Naimer 28amp solar disconnector to the MPPT and then to four 100amp Yuasa L36EFB batteries. I've been very careful to use the right type and sizes of cabling throughout, with properly crimped MC4 connectors and battery lugs. Everything was new this year.

The batteries are connected to a Mastervolt CombiMaster 2000w inverter/charger, which mostly sits in its "Energy Saving" idle state with just an indicator lamp flashing on and off, unless the inverter kicks in to run the 240v fridge.

My monitoring is on the Victron App and a BM2 battery monitor, with the Mastervolt's small separate digital display.

When in the absorption phase and close to switching to float, I'm sometimes getting a fluctuation in both the solar watts and the battery voltage for from a few seconds to several minutes. I hope the attached screenshots will show you more.

When I first saw it, I panicked a bit, isolated the solar, disconnected the MPPT at the battery for about 10 seconds, reconnected it and switched the solar back on. All was then normal again. I did the same thing next time, but I'm slowly realising that if I turn the inverter off completely, it stops doing it immediately.

So my query is, could this be an electrical "clash" between the MPPT and the Mastervolt, if so does it matter as long as everything's working okay, or is it just normal at the point of changeover from absorption to float?

I'll try to provide more details if necessary, but please be gentle with me. I'm a retired plumber, not an electrical or solar genius!

Thanks very much for any help.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
joe-greaves avatar image
joe-greaves answered ·

As no-one answered this, lest anyone sees the post in future, I perhaps ought to say that as my solar set up seems to be working fine in spite of it, I can only conclude that it is not an issue and I've stopped worrying about it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.