question

cody avatar image
cody asked

SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 Confusion

Hi, I currently have my panels wired as 48V @ 8.5 A. Will this MPPT be able to charge my 24V batteries @ 400 watts? The spec sheet says it can handle 75 V PV input but there is no wattage spec given.

If not, what is the point of being able to accept such a high voltage when it can only put out 10A?

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

The datasheet has the nominal PV wattages for each controller at each compatible battery bank nominal voltage listed respectively. Your array wattage is certainly overkill for the 75/10, but it should still work fine - you'll just be wasting some power sometimes. A 75/15 would have been a better match for your panels and battery bank vNom.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Cody

You say "panels wired as 48V". I'm fearful you may be using the old 'nominal' panel ratings, which could well exceed 75Voc - and kill the mppt. Look to the actual Voc ratings of your panels before choosing a 75/ mppt, you may need to step up to a 100/20 (or rewire the panels).

2 |3000