question

sot avatar image
sot asked

Still no ESS in United States?

I've found a few old posts where people made the same discovery that I have: there appears to be no way to take advantage of ESS in the United States because there is no grid type available for the US. Am I assuming correctly that that is still the situation? Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Can anyone tell us if Victron plans to improve on that, and when? I feel that I have made a terrible mistake buying "the best" equipment only to find out that it can't make use of my solar power during the day except to charge the battery. Would it be possible for the "none" option to disable only the grid feedback capability instead of disabling ESS entirely?

ESSusa
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

You can use ESS in the US, it just really depends on the utility most inverters do not have the relevant UL certification.
The GRID code to be selected is "Other" and you can manually fill in the grid parameters but you will need the utility to be okay with this. There are states where this is okay, you just have to check local codes and regulations.

The other option is to use None and have the inverter disconnect from Grid and run in offgrid mode while you have solar/battery. Most people use the GX generator options with wire from GX relay to AUX1 on the inverter for this but NodeRed is a better solution.

I would email salesusacanada@victronenergy.com and ask them to please get the inverters certified, especially the multiplus-II series. If enough people ask I am sure they will do it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sot avatar image
sot answered ·

Thanks for the quick reply. Where can I find documentation about the use of the AUX inputs and interfacing them from the GX? The manual shows where they are but I don't see any detail about how to use them.

1 comment
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

My blog post should point you in the right direction.
https://shaneyake.blogspot.com/2022/09/victron-disconnect-inverter-from-grid.html

0 Likes 0 ·
gutzpowers avatar image
gutzpowers answered ·

I know this is an older thread but in the US is there a way to use CTs on the mains to do zero sell back to grid? When grid is down only the critical load panel will be powered.

2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

You do not need it.

Simply setup ACin as GENERATOR and switch the Multiplus to ON.

You do not even need a MultiPlus-II for it.

1 comment
2 |3000

gutzpowers avatar image gutzpowers commented ·
I don’t see how that wound push power back to AC IN but stop before it gets to the meter (self consumption).
0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

First of all, if you set it "Generator" then "Feed-In" is automatically disabled, because it is logic, that you can not feed into a Generator.

You can also configure your MultiPlus-II with "ZERO Feed-In".

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic