question

Hartwig K. avatar image
Hartwig K. asked

Smart Shunt Hex Protocol

Is there a document for the Smart Shunt Hex protocol available?
SmartShuntcommunication protocol
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hartwig K. avatar image Hartwig K. commented ·
Yes, more or less certainly. In detail, I get return values that are not listed here! E.g. Ping (:154), Application version (:352). Here I always get: 2AAAAFF back!
0 Likes 0 ·
hyxamp avatar image hyxamp Hartwig K. commented ·

I tested Ping and Application version at the smart shunt today and it works as expected:

Ping(:352) returns :5044408

Application Version(:352) returns :104440C

0 Likes 0 ·
hyxamp avatar image
hyxamp answered ·

Hi,

I was also starting to work with the BMV Hex protocol for the smart shunt. But im new in this topic. There is a text based protocol and the hex. If im sending a hex request e.g. for battery voltage, ill get back a text based protocol with the correct hex answer in the last line (checksum). Is this right? I thought the shunt is stopping with sending text protocols for a moment, after he is receiving a hex request? I mean.. i can deal with it, im just wondering if im missing something because i couldnt find anything about it in the documentation.

2 comments
2 |3000

Mike Dorsett avatar image Mike Dorsett commented ·
typically with the VE Direct protocol, if you issue a hex command, the text mode is suspended unitil there has been no port activity for 1 - 2 seconds then the text resumes. If you issue a hex request, you get the reply in text. I'm also looking for the VE Direct protocol for this device...
0 Likes 0 ·
danirpg avatar image danirpg commented ·

Firstly the text protocol is only for receiving, cant send requests.

In HEX protocol if you send a command, the response will be return in HEX protocol also.

There are a documentation that explains the HEX protocol well.

Keep in mind, in HEX protocol you can also receive async messages like for example when a config is changed via bluetooth or the display.

0 Likes 0 ·
birdie avatar image
birdie answered ·

We did some work on reverse engineering the ble protocol.

We have two different repositories with the results.

This is for development, It contains a wireshark dissector and some python scripts: https://github.com/vvvrrooomm/victron/

This is one is more ready for usage, You can output the data to syslog or mqtt to integrate it in homeassistant or other: https://github.com/birdie1/victron

I know you were asking for the hex protocol via serial, but from the other serial protocol descriptions we found out, that many of the attributes share the same hex values between bluetooth and serial. Maybe this will help you a bit.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic