question

timbobusa avatar image
timbobusa asked

SmartSolar Charge Controller MPPT 100|30 - Design Question Due to Blown Fuses

I'm not new to DC in cars and electronics, but I am new to solar. The fact that I keep blowing fuses when connecting this charge controller to the batteries has me questioning my process, and I'd really appreciate some help. The (two) batteries are in an RV, relatively new, wired in parallel, both 12v, same exact manufacturer and type, and there are no (known) issues with the DC in the RV. I'm attempting to use the built-in wiring for connecting solar to the RV and have confirmed which wires are connected where, because sometimes they're installed wrong. There's nothing else connected to the RV or to the charge controller, no PVs, no other charge controllers, no other solar, no shore power, no generators, etc.

I insert the positive wire from the battery into the charge controller and tighten it down, and as soon as I connect the negative wire from the battery to the charge controller, the fuse blows. I've tried multiple fuses in 5 amp increments, right up to 50 amps, but they all blow. I've also bypassed the built-in solar connector, so the positive cable is going from the battery to the fuse holder and then from the fuse holder to the controller and the negative cable is going from the battery to the controller.

Am I doing anything wrong in the way I'm connecting and wiring everything? Other people who own the same make of RV have done this, without issue.

Final(?) Update: Amazon didn’t ship the new one, so I decided to try another charge controller that I intended to use for a different project. It’s a different brand, and is rated at 100/40. I connected everything in the exact same way as the Victron, and it just worked; no blown fuses. I’ll be sending this one to the supplier for replacement.

MPPT Controllerswiringfusescampervan
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@TimBobUSA

What fuses are you using?

Isolate the batteries from the rv system and try again.

1 Like 1 ·
timbobusa avatar image timbobusa Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I'm using inline blade (ATC?) fuses on the positive wire between the batteries and the charge controller, and 50 amps is as high as I tried. I ordered another charge controller, same exact model, and if that blows fuses, I'll isolate the batteries from the RV and try both again. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Either there's a wiring fault between the batteries and MPPT, or the MPPT is faulty.

Assuming the cabling is ok (you're going to have to test carefully), then get it back to the supplier for testing under warranty.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

timbobusa avatar image timbobusa commented ·

I was leaning towards a bad controller, since a couple other people have seen the same issue with this model. However, given the poor build quality of this RV, the cabling could be bad, so if the new controller I ordered blows fuses, I'll follow your and Alexandra's suggestions. Thanks.

PS If it turns out the controllers are good and the RV wiring is bad, at least I already have a controller for the other project.

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ timbobusa commented ·
You know that there's a 5 year warranty on these controllers?
1 Like 1 ·
timbobusa avatar image timbobusa kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Oh yeah, and the supplier was very responsive. They’ll check it out, after I ship it to them.
0 Likes 0 ·
neptuneuk avatar image
neptuneuk answered ·

Can you post an image of the face of the MPPT controller showing the battery output cables connected, and one of the MPPT terminals with battery cables connected.

Can you give more details about your PV installation? Panel make and model, panel Immp + Vmmp, configuration (parallel / series).

Is the MPPT new, reused by you or second hand?

I would:

1.) Test ground fault, polarity, voltage and amperage at the following points:

1.a) PV cables at the MPPT ends while not connected to the MPPT (follow electrical safety best practice).

1.b) Reconnect PV cables and test at MPPT output terminals (no battery cables connected).

2.) Do the same tests for the battery cables at the MPPT connection ends

3.) What happens if you disconnect the PV arrray and connect your battery to your MPPT?

Post the results here.

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Op said PV array is not connected. Problem occurs when MPPT is connected to batteries only.

0 Likes 0 ·
timbobusa avatar image timbobusa commented ·

I haven't gotten to the PVs yet. It's literally positive cable - negative cable - fuse blows. The controller is brand new, fresh out of the box, and it will work, according to the MPPT Calculator - Victron Energy. It's probably going to be some mistake made the RV manufacturer in their wiring. :-(

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Victron Wiring Unlimited PDF

Victron Wiring Unlimited Online

Fuses & fuse holders Product Page.

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic