question

cowboychris avatar image
cowboychris asked

GX Tank 140 Issue

I recently installed Safiery Tank Level Sensors IP65 on grey and fresh water tanks using the Cerbo Gx Tank 140 for voltage. The install and calibration went well. However, when I went to use my RV a few weeks later (all tanks were empty), all three sensors would not read voltage. Each sensor was displayed on the Cerbo device list, and the status displayed "OK." I reset each sensor, and re-calibrated each (the new empty voltage now displayed was different than the first setup). Each sensor seemed to be working properly. After the trip, and all tanks were emptied and left that way for several weeks, the same thing occurred. The sensors status displayed "OK," but they did not read voltage (voltage did not change as water was added). Any ideas on what is going on?

tank monitorgx 140
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Russell Brown avatar image
Russell Brown answered ·

I have the exact same issue, my Safiery Tank Level Sensors IP65 were working fine, now I get 0V from the sensor.

did you resolve your issue ?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cowboychris avatar image cowboychris commented ·
I have not. I am beating my head against the wall. I have four sensors that were working, and now none are. Two different Tank 140's. Is it possible both went bad at the same time? Doubtful
0 Likes 0 ·
Russell Brown avatar image Russell Brown cowboychris commented ·

I even had a 2nd sensor that was not connected, swapped sensors, same result. I did not pay attention to firmware updates. Is it possible a firmware update broke something ?

I was suspecting maybe either a faulty sensor or a faulty Tank 140. But now with someone else having the exact same problem I am wondering !

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

I started out with safety sensors but they were very problematic and unreliable, not to mention very expensive. I ended up switching to pressure transducers and have been very happy with the result. Extremely accurate for a lot less money.

1 comment
2 |3000

Can you tell me what pressure transducers you used?
0 Likes 0 ·

Here's what I used

Liquid Level Transmitter 5m Cable Water Level Sensor Detector Pressure Transmitter for Water Gas Oil 1232VDC 420mA(0-2m) https://a.co/d/9hrUfbH

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks for the info. Did you install these from the top? I have no access to the top of my tanks. I installed the Safiery (which are no longer working) through the side of the tank near the bottom.
0 Likes 0 ·

I installed mine through the top but they can be installed any way you want as long as you can seal it up

1 comment
2 |3000

Much appreciated! Have you tried this sensor in a black water tank, or just grey and fresh?
0 Likes 0 ·

I have them in all 3. No problems with the black tank but my toilet sits right above the tank outlet and I put the sensor in the opposite end so solids are not being dropped directly on top of it, but I can't say that it would really matter much anyway. Been using them almost 6 months now and they are still just as accurate as the day I put them in.

1 comment
2 |3000

Nice! Do you think they could be installed in the horizontal orientation?
0 Likes 0 ·

Mine are horizontal. I dropped them in from the top but they lie on the bottom of the tank.

2 comments
2 |3000

Thanks so much for letting me pick your brain! I will have to give them a try. I just need to figure out how I am going to seal them up.
0 Likes 0 ·
I hate to keep bugging you, but I only see two wire in the picture. How do you wire that to the Tank 140. How does it send the signal back?
0 Likes 0 ·

Yes it is just 2 wires. One wire is the voltage supply to the transducer, the other is the return. It is basically just a inline variable resistor.

3 comments
2 |3000

So hook the red wire to the positive 24v on the Tank 140, and the black to the signal? No ground connection I assume?
0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas cowboychris commented ·
Connect the system ground to the main ground on the tank140 it will need it for a reference. The red wires on the sensor connect to 24 volt(any source will do it doesn't have to be connected to the tank140) and the black wire on the sensor connects to in on the sensor input on the tank140.
0 Likes 0 ·
cowboychris avatar image cowboychris derrick thomas commented ·
Thanks so much! Just ordered one for a test (to try to get a good seal). Hopefully this solves all of my issues.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

GX Tank 140 product page

Connecting tank monitoring to Cerbo GX

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic