question

peter-van-duijn avatar image
peter-van-duijn asked

how to configure remote ssh on Venus GX

We are using VRM portal to access and monitor our systems (Venus GX/Victron Multiplus) , but would like to use ssh remotely to login as root to the console to install/update python scripts running on the Venus. SSH is enabled in the Venus GX interface, but how to remotely access the Venus by ssh ?

Venus GX - VGXVEConfigure 3
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

HI Peter,

I have moved this question to the modifications space.

0 Likes 0 ·
9 Answers
philippe avatar image
philippe answered ·

I have the same question and see this is unanswered. Any update?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

peter-van-duijn avatar image
peter-van-duijn answered ·

No, unfortunately, i have no update on this.

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Assuming you are connecting to the internet via a router, you need to set up port forwarding so that incoming SSH is routed to Venus.

SSH uses port 22.

As an alternative, you may be able to use VPN rather than port forwarding. Although I don't know much about it, some routers provide a local VPN server allowing access to the devices on the LAN from anywhere on the internet. The device you use to connect from the outside world needs VPN capability also.

2 |3000

vanlifer007 avatar image
vanlifer007 answered ·

Same question here. would like to access the gx device remotely to pull modbus and populate this data on a remote graph. if one set port forwarding to the gx device how can one access the modbus?

1 comment
2 |3000

Ole Saether avatar image Ole Saether commented ·

To access Modbus you need to forward port 502 in your router to the Venus device. Then you can access the device remotely through Modbus. Here is an example that turns relay1 on with Python:
https://github.com/osaether/code-snippets/blob/master/victronenergy/modbus/relay1-on.py

0 Likes 0 ·
Ole Saether avatar image
Ole Saether answered ·

Hi. As mentioned below you need to forward port 22 in your router to the Venus device. Then you need to enable ssh on the Venus itself. See here:
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access#enable_sshd_and_log_in

2 |3000

smartpowernorway avatar image
smartpowernorway answered ·

Hi.

I have been trying to connect SSH to my Cerbo GX without success.

This is what I have done so far:

- Followed this https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:root_access#enable_sshd_and_log_in

- Used Putty and OpenSSH

- Was first trying over the internet using my mobile as hotspot for both the PC and the Cerbo. Then realized that the Cerbo (Venus OS) says SSH on LAN. Then connected both devices to my home router... no sucess.

- Configuration used on Putty:

Host name: 84.22.107.120 (or any of the specific IPs assigned to the Cerbo). Also tried root@84.22.107.120.

Port: tried 22, 80, 443 and the port of the server (Cerbo).

Connection/SSH/Tunnels

Source port: tried many different numbers (8000, 5000, 80,443, etc)

Destination: 84.22.107.120:XXXXX (XXXXX is the port used by the cerbo and shown on the settings along with the IP).

Also used OpenSSH with different configurations.

Any light will be greatly appreciated since I am now just running in loops.

Thanks.

1 comment
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Then realized that the Cerbo (Venus OS) says SSH on LAN. Then connected both devices to my home router... no sucess.

- Configuration used on Putty:

Host name: 84.22.107.120 (or any of the specific IPs assigned to the Cerbo).

Use the LAN IP for your Cerbo (should be something like 192.168.xxx.yyy).

Then (once the PuTTy terminal opens):

user: root

password: {the one you set in Cerbo using Remote Console}

0 Likes 0 ·
smartpowernorway avatar image
smartpowernorway answered ·

It worked straight away using the LAN IP.

Thank you.

2 |3000

sh911 avatar image
sh911 answered ·

Hi all,

I followed the victron guideline to enable ssh, i.e. superuser access, password, SSH on LAN set up in the remote console. The only deviation to the guideline was, that I didn't had to enter ZZZ to enable superuser. I'm using firmware 2.92. of course I try to connect to 192.168.x.x I tried LAN cable and WLAN on the Multiplus 5000 GX. I always get "connection refused".

I can ssh in my LAN from one laptop to another. So the router can't be the issue either.

An idea what to try next?

Thx

Stefan

2 |3000

sh911 avatar image
sh911 answered ·

fyi: did a FW downgrade to 2.73 with an USB stick and it works

2 |3000

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic