Lynx BMS - Measure Start battery voltage

Hi,

I have a 12V marine setup with a Lynx Smart BMS, Lithium Batteri Smart, MulitPlus II, DC/DC, Cerbo GX, GX Tuch and some other components. What I now realize is that I cannot measure the start battery (lead) from the Lynx Smart BMS (as I would do with a standard shunt).

Anyone having a good idea how to measure start battery voltage in a setup with a Lynx Smart BMS? Can the analog I/O on Cerbo GX be used? I want the information to be displayed on the GX Touch.

The start battery are not connected to any of the Victron products, I reuse the old isolator between the alternator, start and consumption batteries.

You can not use the analog inputs on the Cerbo as these can take only a low voltage like 3V or 5V.

On my system with Lynx BMS I have a smartshunt measuring DC loads so I use the aux connection on that for the starter battery.

The simplest solution might be to fit a 300A SmartShunt to the starter battery no need to measure the current, just connect one negative terminal to the battery with a small wire and VE Direct to the Cerbo.

Thanks, for your respons, not what I hoped for, but confirmed my findings :slight_smile:

If you have an orion DC DC you can set up an alarm on the input voltage.

You then get an email and / or notification when the battery drops below (or exceeds) your alarm trigger. The issue you are likely concerned about.

The alarm page in VRM also reports the actual voltage. So you can monitor remotely

Not related to the question but alarms are quite useful to monitor when you have lost shore power, the beers are not staying cold (with an Ruunvi sensor) etc. I haven’t found a suitable sensor yet but would like to monitor bilge water on the boat.

A simple way to monitor for bilge water is a 2 wire float switch connected to a digital input on the GX device.

I use two shelly uni for monitoring the voltage of my two engine batteries.