Separating charging and inverting functions for Quattro

Further to my previous post titled “Quattro and generator stability problem when output intermittently loaded” I wonder if here is a function / setting to separate the charging and inverting functions such that the battery itself is the common coupling? With a small generator ‘topping up’ the battery, this could be run at maximum efficiency and the inverter looking after the output. Effectively this is the opposite of the pass-through setting.

I reviewed your other post to see if someone suggested the Dynamic Current Limiter and they did. Turning UPS mode off might also help. But the real issue, as you know, is the generator is underrated for the job in terms of power, but it sounds sufficient to charge batteries over time. So your suggestion of separating the charging and inverting function is reasonable. However, it will require a second inverter/charger in charge only mode. You can connect it to the GX device with an external MK3-USB adapter and if you are using DVCC, the Victron system will regulate it like any other charger. The second Multi can be sized to match the continuous output you need from the generator and doesn’t have to be 10kVA.

Thank you, Ed

Your reply reinforced what we suspected - to solve the situation will need another charger of some sort. It is encouraging that the Victron native GX software can sort out the regulation, which I assume will mean the SoC to the batteries is monitored (and controlled). We have another Quattro which I’m sure would do the job.

What I find surprising is that there is not a standard setting within the Victron equipment to allow a generator to operate at their optimum - may be 80% of its rated load (for fuel efficiency etc) by separating the charger from the inverter. Surely this would be a useful, marketable feature?

Anybody from Victron wish to comment?

The issue is: how much generator capacity is sufficient and available, and what type of generator set is it (synchronous or asynchronous machine, inverter)? This is not generally known in advance!

That is why there are various adjustment options, allowing you to remain flexible and adapt the system. And that is why the advice to consult trained professionals keeps being repeated! Emergency power systems in particular have a number of nasty pitfalls, and even specialists can find themselves under pressure when it comes to sizing the system and determining the appropriate application.

The Multiplus and Quattro inverter chargers have a single ac to dc conversion and voltage conversion step. It runs power one way through for inverting and the other way for charging. It does not have separate circuits for inverting and charging. Therefore it can not decouple them. The schematic in the manual shows this.

PWFarnell - Thank you for reminding me of the schematic structure of the Quattro - the way it is shown illustrates the charger/inverter is an add-on to the ‘mains’ side and clearly not two distinct power units.

So it is ‘Back to the drawing board’ for me, I feel!

Herr Karl-Heinz

Thank you for your note and, with PWFarnell’s explanation subsequently, I see that the Quattro is not designed to have a charger / inverter with the battery as a common coupling.

I say again “Back to the drawing board”!

oh, just commented on your other thread regarding this. Funny enough my suggestion to your situation was a separate charger although I did waffle on about the generator for a bit.

Glad you’ve had a resolution.